Ways to Give
OPPORTUNITIES TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE
Gifts to the Academy provide critical support for students, faculty, research and programs. Join the growing number of alumni and friends who support Massachusetts Maritime Academy by making a gift using one of the options below.
Send your check to:
Office of Advancement
Massachusetts Maritime Academy
101 Academy Drive
Buzzards Bay, MA 02532
Please call the Office of Advancement at 508-830-5099 and we will run your credit card for you.
Please be sure to contact the Advancement Office at 508-830-5099 to inform us that a gift of securities in on the way. This information will ensure both timely crediting and acknowledgement of your gift.
Transfer of Money
- Santander ACH:
- ABA #011075150
- Account #56300056688
- Swift Code: SVRNUS33
- Bank Information:
- 2895 Cranberry Highway
- East Wareham MA 02538
Transfer of Securities
- Morgan Stanley Smith Barney
- DTC #0015
- MMAF Account # 447-032686
- MMAF Taxpayer ID 23-7025807
Gifts of appreciated Securities are tax deductible at full fair-market value if the donor has owned the asset for at least one year. To avoid capital gains taxes, you must provide the securities themselves, not the proceeds of their sale. These gifts may be deducted at fair market value on the date of transfer to the Academy.
What is a donor-advised fund?
A donor-advised fund (DAF) is a type of giving program that allows you to combine the most favorable tax benefits with the flexibility to easily support your favorite charities. An increasingly popular charitable vehicle, DAFs are an excellent way to both simplify your charitable giving and facilitate your strategic philanthropic goals.
How does it work?
- Establish your DAF by making an irrevocable, tax-deductible donation to a public charity that sponsors a DAF program
- Advise the investment allocation of the donated assets (any investment growth is tax-free)
- Recommend grants to qualified public charities of your choice.
What are the main advantages of a donor-advised fund?
- Simplicity – The DAF sponsor handles all record-keeping, disbursements, and tax receipts.
- Flexibility – Timing of your tax deduction can be separate from your charitable decision making.
- Tax-efficiency – Contributions are tax-deductible and any investment growth in the DAF is tax-free. It is also easy to donate long term appreciated securities, eliminating capital gains taxes and allowing you to support multiple charities from one block of stock.
- Family legacy – A DAF is a powerful way to build or continue a tradition of family philanthropy.
- No start-up costs – There is no cost to establish a donor-advised fund. However, there are often minimum initial charitable contributions to establish the DAF (typically $5,000 or more).**
- No transaction fees – Once approved, 100% of your recommended grant goes to your qualified public charity of choice.**
- Privacy if desired – Donors may choose to remain anonymous to the grant recipient.
** Sponsoring organizations generally assess an administrative fee on the assets in a DAF. These fees vary by sponsoring organization.
The Academy now accepts cryptocurrency and we’ve made it easy for you to donate it!
Here’s how to do it:
- Visit https://www.cryptoforcharity.io/
- Pick Massachusetts Maritime Academy
- Donate and get a tax receipt.
Thank you for all the ways you support Massachusetts Maritime Academy!
Important things to know:
- Cryptocurrency donations (processed by FreeWill Impact Fund and Crypto for Charity) are promptly sold and the net proceeds transferred to Massachusetts Maritime Academy. The Academy does not have a payment processing account for cryptocurrency nor does it maintain a reserve of cryptocurrency, therefore all donations to Mass Maritime (via the method above) are final.
- The Academy will acknowledge receipt of your gift but a tax receipt will be issued only by FreeWill Impact Fund.
- Cryptocurrency is treated by the IRS as property and is subject to the same rules as non-cash charitable gifts.
If a loved one passes away you can suggest that a memorial gifts be made in memory of him or her to Massachusetts Maritime Academy. You can also set up a gift that pays tribute to their life through scholarships, athletics, or academics to name a few.
Making a gift to MMA in honor of a loved one is also a nice way to commemorate a special occasion. Gifts in memory or in honor are a lasting tribute to your loved one and make a true difference in the lives of our Cadets.
You may also permanently memorialize or honor someone important to you by:
- Purchasing a brick for the Brick Plaza located in the center of campus (open to all),
- By purchasing a plaque with their name for the Chief Engineers Log (open to academy alumni only) or
- By purchasing a plaque for the Merchant Marine Memorial (open to present and former members of the U.S. Merchant Marine only).