For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
Distinguished Lecture Series
Demonstrating the importance of partnershps between industry professionals and our community, the Massachusetts Maritime Academy Distinguished Lecture Series was designed to expose cadets to the realities of life after MMA and provide real-world advice based on personal journey.
The Series invites selected individuals who represent the best of what the Academy aspires its cadets to become and who have achieved the highest levels of success as professionals representing any one of the Academy's seven major courses of study. During the visit, the lecturer will participate in a full day of activities including a presentation, informal discussions and a campus tour. The lectures are open to all cadets, faculty, staff, alumni and the local community.
The selection of Distinguished Lecturers is based on specific expertise and industry representation.
Lois Zabrocky - April 30, 2020
Past Distinguished Lecturers
- Angela Chao
- Deputy Chairman, Foremost Group - A global shipping and transportation company, Angela is an expert on the shipping industry and U.S.-Chinese relations.
- Bill Cummings
- Founder, Cummings Properties, LLC - Local real estate magnate, philantropist, and author of "Starting Small and Making It Big: An Entrepreneur's Journey to Billion-Dollar Philanthropist".
- Admiral William J. Flanagan, Jr., MMA '64, H'96
- Retired United States Navy Four Star Admiral - Admiral Flanagan who served as Commander in Chief, U.S. Atlantic Fleet from 1994 to 1996. He is a highly respected businessperson, currently serving as President of Noragh Analytics and previous managing director of Cantor Fitzgerald.
- Matthew McCleery
- President, Marine Money International - International Marine Business advisor
- Rear Admiral Dee L. Mewborne
- Commander, Military Sealift Command (MSC) - Currently in charge of Military Sealift Command and a United States Naval Academy graduate and naval flight officer with an MBA from Colorado State University.
- Sam Norton
- President & CEO, OSG Shipping - OSG is a leading provider of energy transportation services, delivering crude oil and petroleum products throughout the world. They own and operate a combined fleet of 24 modern vessels registered in the United States.
- Christopher J. Wiernicki
- Chairman, President and CEO, American Bureau Of Shipping (ABS) - Chris is a superb naval architect, engineer and businessperson.