For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
Transfer Student Requirements
Applications for admission from students wishing to transfer to MMA from other accredited institutions of higher education will be given full consideration. Transfer credit will be evaluated by the Registrar. The amount of credit awarded will be on a course-by-course basis depending on applicability to the Academy curriculum. Please note that there is no early action consideration for transfer applicants. Students are however encouraged to apply and complete their application early in the cycle to ensure full consideration to our programs.
Applicants who transfer from Massachusetts community colleges should read carefully the information in the transfer compact agreed to by the Department of Higher Education and the representatives of the 29 public colleges and universities in Massachusetts.
Students transferring into the regiment for a spring semester must meet the transfer guidelines as outlined by the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education and will be required to participate in freshman Orientation.
Prior to enrollment, applicants must meet the following criteria. Please note that the transfer guidelines listed below represent minimum standards only. Meeting these standards does not guarantee admission to the Academy. It is highly recommended that students speak with an admissions representative prior to enrolling in classes to confirm they are taking the appropriate course work. Students may enroll for the fall or spring semester but may be encouraged to wait until fall based on choice of major.
Part One: Department of Higher Education Standards:
- Students must complete 12-23 transferrable college credits with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher OR
- Students must complete 24 or more transferrable college credits with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
Part Two: Massachusetts Maritime Academy standards:
Students must successfully complete the following courses prior to enrollment at MMA. Successful completion requires a minimum grade of “C” or higher.
- College-level algebra based mathematics course (College Algebra or higher)
- College-level English composition course (English Composition I)
- Chemistry I with a lab (Introduction to Chemistry I, lab component)*
Additional courses recommended to complete DHE standards:
- Western Civilization
- American Government (with MMA approval)
- Micro or Macroeconomics
- Introduction to Psychology or Introduction to Sociology
- Philosophy or Ethics or Introduction to World Religions
- Literary Theme
- English Composition II
- Next course in Math sequence
- Chemistry II with a lab**
*Prior to enrolling in and completing any Chemistry course, students should confirm with MMA that this course is appropriate for their future enrollment and that credits will transfer.
**Not all majors at MMA require Chemistry II. Therefore, students should confirm this course is required for their intended major prior to enrolling in the course.
Interested applicants should complete the application process as outlined here, with the following additional requirements:
- Official college transcript, including courses currently in progress
- Notification of Good Standing - Massachusetts Maritime Academy requires transfer applicants to complete a Notification of Good Standing letter found here.