For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
Transfer Student Requirements
Massachusetts Maritime Academy is an institution that values transfer students. Our Admissions team works closely with community colleges to ensure that students interested in the Academy stay on course to satisfy transfer requirements and maximize transferable credits.
Marine Engineering and Marine Transportation are only available for the FALL term.
Energy Systems Engineering is only available for the FALL term. It is our most competitive major and has limited space available. Students interested in Energy System Engineering are strongly encouraged to apply well before the fall transfer application priority deadline of February 15.
Students who transfer as regimental students for the spring semester will attend a new student orientation one week prior to the start of classes in early March. All transfer students (both spring and fall admits) who are members of the regiment will be required to complete the two week first year orientation in mid- August.
Priority Deadline for Fall Transfer Admission: February 15th
Deadline for Fall Transfer Admission: April 15th
Spring Transfer Deadline: November 15th
- Complete the application on our website and submit the $50 application fee
- Mass Transfer applicants should email Joanne Robertson (email@example.com) for an application fee waiver code.
- Request official high school transcript (required for students who have not completed an associate’s or bachelor’s degree and must include graduation date)
- Request official college transcript(s)
- Completed good standing form from all colleges/universities attended
- Attach your essay (minimum 300 words why you want to attend MMA or a subject of your choice)
- After you submit your application, this can be uploaded and attached as a PDF file.
- Submit 2 letters of recommendations
- Submit official SAT/ACT scores
- Scores not required if transferring more than 3 years post high school graduation
- Applicants for Spring 2021 or Fall 2021 transferring less than 3 years post high school graduation may apply under our Test Optional Policy.
101 Academy Drive
Buzzards Bay, MA 02532
Massachusetts Maritime Academy acknowledges academic success. The following scholarships are available for transfer students. Please note, no additional application is required for these scholarships and decisions are made based on credentials at the time the student is admitted. Additionally, submission of the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) is strongly suggested for all students in order to be considered for need based aid.
Admiral's Scholarship - This scholarship is a renewable award. It is based on 24 college credits completed at your most recent institution and a 3.5 cumulative GPA. Award amounts range from $4,000 - $15,000 depending upon your residency. Priority is given to those students who apply for admission by February 15th.This award is renewable provided the student maintains at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average, to be verified at the end of each spring semester. If the student does not maintain at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA, any future receipt of the award is forfeited.
Captain's Scholarship - This scholarship is a renewable award. It is based on 24 college credits completed at your most recent institution and a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Award amounts range from $3,000 - $10,000 depending upon your residency. Priority is given to those students who apply for admission by February 15th.This award is renewable provided the student maintains at least a 3.0 cumulative grade point average, to be verified at the end of each spring semester. If the student does not maintain at least a 3.0 cumulative GPA, any future receipt of the award is forfeited.
*Massachusetts Community College students can qualify for Mass Transfer and The Commonwealth Commitment.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact Joanne Robertson, Assistant Director of Admissions & Coordinator of Transfers. You can set up a meeting directly, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call (508) 830-5031.