Our minimum high school requirements for admission are outlined below. These requirements apply to all students who are interested in pursuing a degree at the Academy.
COVID-19 + test optional policy
Due to the impact of the Coronavirus pandemic on standardized testing across the country, Massachusetts Maritime Academy will be test optional for the 2020-2021 application cycle.
To be considered for admission to Massachusetts Maritime Academy, candidates must be capable of college-level study and meet the minimum requirements below:
- 4 years of English
- 4 years of Mathematics: Including Algebra I, Algebra II, and Geometry or Trigonometry (or comparable coursework). At least one course must be completed during senior year.
- 3 years of Science: At least three of these courses must include labs. Technology/Engineering courses must be designated as science courses (taken for science credit) by the high school. Courses in Chemistry and Physics are strongly recommended.
- 2 years of Social Science: Including one course in United States History
- 2 years of Foreign Language: Two sequential, one-year courses in either a classical or modern language
- *A foreign language waiver may be given to students attending a vocational technical high school or those who have received a waiver from their high school.
- 2 Elective Courses
Due to the impact of COVID-19 on standardized testing across the country, the submission of SAT or ACT scores will be optional for the 2020-2021 application cycle. Applicants for Spring 2021 or Fall 2021 will have the option to submit test scores or not. For more information, please review our Test Optional Policy.
If you choose to submit your standardized test scores, you must submit official test scores from either The College Board (SAT) or The ACT (ACT). When taking the exam, have your scores sent directly to the Academy. Please note, score requests can take between 2-4 weeks to be delivered and added to a student's application.
Average SAT Score: 1050-1100* (SAT Code: 3515)
Average ACT Score: 22-23 (ACT Code: 1856)
*We will superscore your SAT scores.
- The average weighted GPA of incoming students is a 3.1 - or about a B average. This is not a minimum requirement, only an average.
- As a STEM institution, counselors will be considering high school math/science performance.
- While any senior year math course will meet our course requirements, we would encourage students to take Pre-Calculus or Calculus, if available, in their senior year. These courses best align with the required math curriculum at the Academy.