For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
• Licensed and certified through the U.S. Coast Guard.
• 3 years’ operating experience with pilot and unlimited tonnage license preferred.
• Bachelor degree in marine science or engineering preferred.
• 5 years previous experience in the ranks of third, second and first mate.
• 18 years of age.
• Flexible schedule including weekends and holidays. 5-7 (7 hour) shifts per week.
• Successfully complete all drug testing.
1. Check the vessel to ensure it is seaworthy and meets all safety regulations.
2. Ensure that lifeboats are in working order and that all life preservers are in place and accounted for.
3. Provide passenger with safety procedures.
4. Perform navigation of the vessel.
5. Must be familiar with the operation of electronic navigation systems such as GPS units and have the ability to use tools such as navigational charts, compasses, sonar and radar to assume navigation in emergency situations.
6. Responsible for overseeing the duties of the vessel's crew member
7. Maintain staffing requirements including hiring/termination of the crew.
8. Enforce company policies including performance evaluations and disciplinary actions.
9. Assign marine staff to other duties as required.