Masters of Science
The Master of Science in Emergency Management (MSEM) program is designed to provide graduates with the knowledge, skills, and tools necessary to implement both proactive and reactive strategies to reduce the cost of a disaster in life and property and thus to be successful emergency managers and leaders in both the public and private sectors. The program’s graduates will possess the problem-solving capabilities to prepare for, respond to, recover from, and mitigate disasters and emergencies. The program provides a multi-disciplinary approach requiring a core set of courses addressing issues common to virtually all hazards and courses addressing special topics, including public health and transportation security.
The degree is offered in a 17-month executive format with 9 three-credit courses and one four-credit capstone course (total 31 credits).
*In response to the global pandemic COVID19, we have migrated to an online format. We will continue virtual format for the foreseeable future.
The emergency management field is one of the fastest growing job sectors and is related to an ever expanding number of professional domains and sectors, to include national security, public health, and law enforcement.
MMA’s MSEM 17 month On-line/Executive format (instruction on alternate Friday evenings/Saturdays), allows students to continue their professional careers, and concurrently apply academic skills obtained during the program to their organizations.
- Readings from textbooks, case studies, peer-reviewed articles, professional journals, doctrinal manuals and emergency management-related hand books;
- Research papers on relevant topics and course readings;
- Group and individual projects and oral presentations;
- Table-top exercises;
- Debates and discussions on pertinent emergency management related topics;
- Tests and examinations;
- Book reviews;
- Capstone seminar/project- The MSEM capstone seminar/project is designed to allow a student to take a deep dive into a perceived problem or flawed process in the wide field of Emergency Management. The course develops analytical competencies and written and oral communications skills, all critical for operating in any professional environment.