For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC)
All Marine Engineering and Marine Transportation cadets applying for their Cadet Merchant Mariner Credential are required to complete the Kickoff Questionnaire.
The MMC contains identification information and specifies the postions onboard a vessel that an individual is qualfied to sail in. MMA cadets will apply for a Cadet Deck/Engine rating, enabling them to receive a discharge as "Cadet" or "Cadet Observer" when sailing on qualifying vessels. Cadets will also apply for the entry-level ratings of Ordinary Seaman (OS), Wiper, and Steward's Department (SD). These ratings do not require sea time, prior experience, or a test or exam.
To be eligible to apply for an MMC, a cadet:
1. Must be a US citizen or an alien lawfully admitted to the US for permanent residence.
2. Must have a TWIC.
3. Must be free of all legal issues.
4. Must be able to meet the medical criteria for licensure.
In order to apply for a cadet MMC, cadets must complete the VPDSD course, Vessel Security for Persons with Designated Security Duties. Cadets register for their preferred date in Self Service and complete the full 10-hour, 2 day training to receive a certificate of completion.
Cadet MMC Application Forms and Personal Documents Required:
First-time applicants will need to set aside one full business day in order to compile the necessary application package. A full application package includes every item in the following list, or follow the link for Required Documents to print out:
1. The MMC application form, CG 719-B form. Download, save to your desktop, fill in, print out and SIGN your NAME, and date the form. Follow the link, Instructions: Cadet MMC Application to complete your application.
2. A single copy of any previously held MMC document, if applicable.
3. The signed CG 719-C form, only i Skip
assport, put the copier on lightest.
5. A single copy of your Pay.gov receipt for the $140.00 payment. All fees are paid on-line to the US Coast Guard. Follow the link here Pay.gov Instructions provided for you.
6. The completed CG 719-K physical form, download and print out. You may have your own doctor complete your physical or make an appointment with our health services. Our Health Services team will send out informatiaon to you on sign ups for appointment times in the fall and spring. If MMA Health Services completes your physcial, they will forward a copy to the Mariner Credentialing office. If you go to your own doctor, you must provide our office with the original completed form. This 719K CG form is required - NO EXCEPTIONS.
Previous License Holders Enrolled at MMA
If you have a lower level license, such as a launch tender license or a master or mate license at the 25-, 50-, or 100-ton level, than click on the link below to apply for your Cadet Deck/Engine ratings. Students with a current license are required to complete the CG-719B form, apply for Cadet Deck/Engine, ELR, BT, VPDSD enrolled in 310 program ratings, and follow the same application process. No exceptions. The PDF of Required Documents lists the documents necessary to complete your application package
Some of the links on this page are only accessible by students and staff by logging into the maritime.edu domain. You will be prompted to log in with your MMA credentials when attempting to access these links.
Members of the public can access information on the MMC process from the U.S. Coast Guard National Maritime Center.