For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
Job Title: Facilities Manager
Responsible To: President and CFO
Requirements: Minimum of three years’ experience in construction and/or facility maintenance.
The Facilities Manager is responsible for overseeing the safety, security, maintenance, repair and care of the building and residential homes. The Facilities Manager has direct supervision of the Maintenance Technician. Works collaboratively with staff to manage the maintenance of the facilities. The Maintenance Technician is responsible for ongoing and preventative maintenance of all of the main building and residential homes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Monitor, check, and assess building facilities regularly, by conducting facilities inspections and responding in a timely manner to reported problems.
• Create and continuously update preventative maintenance schedule.
• Develop, implement, and monitor strategies to reduce failure rates for facility and transportation assets.
• Recommend systems for improved facility and transportation management.
• Provide general facility support by assuring routine maintenance work is conducted according to a schedule.
• Develop site-specific work procedures and processes to manage the grounds, maintenance, and other assigned areas (eg. mail and package delivery, parking compliance, etc.)
• Manage in-house maintenance staff.
• Support all volunteer service initiatives relating to facility, transportation, and grounds maintenance.
• Support Capital development initiatives.
• Oversee third-party service providers who are responsible for ongoing, day-to-day management of the facility and negotiate economically efficient master services agreements.
• Select, obtain, and manage furniture, appliances, and equipment in accordance with facility requirements.
• Create and monitor policies designed to assure safety, maintenance, and cleanliness of all facilities.
• Review and approve maintenance, repair, engineering, and utility invoices of the work performed by contractors
• Keep records of any equipment or supplies needing replacement, as well as respond to any work orders
• Manage maintenance and logistics for of fleet of 15 to 20 vehicles.
• Manage design, selection, and purchase of all corporate vehicles.
• Manage insourced and outsourced transportation logistics to assure efficiency, safety, and performance.
• Oversee and resolve traffic flow and parking issues at all facilities.
• Assure physical safety and security for all individuals served and staff.
• Liaise with local Police, Fire, and Emergency Response resources in communities where we maintain facilities
• 3+ years of logistics management, facilities management experience or general contracting experience
• Have excellent project management skills
• Are highly detail oriented with superb organizational skills
• Strong collaborator and team player, willing to jump into anything
• Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal
• Can operate under pressure, meet deadlines, and pivot quickly
• Electrical, Mechanical, Plumbing or HVAC/Refrigeration and/or transportation management training is preferred
• Customer Service Orientation
• Have the ability to lift 50+ pounds
Knowledge: Safety maintenance of buildings and homes, Maintenance and repairs of the building, Building security, Heating systems, Managing budgets, Building codes.
Skills: Managing electrical, plumbing, carpentry, and painting work in the building and residential homes. Coordinating overall maintenance of buildings and managing the work efficiently. Working collaboratively with other staff, clients, and contractors.
Creating and managing a maintenance budget. Using computers and software - especially Microsoft Office programs, Word, Excel and Google docs.
This job specification should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Each employee will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required by his/her supervisor.