For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
How to Get a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)
- Refer to the information located on the Transportation Security Administration page on getting a TWIC.
- Select the Apply Online button to complete the online application. You must complete steps 1 - 10 by filling in the required fields.
- Next make your online appointment by selecting Schedule an Appointment. Complete the required fields to locate the nearest TWIC center.
- Gather your IDs. Use your valid US Passport (it is proof of citizenship). DO NOT use your MMC or your MMA ID.
- Bring your payment of $125.25. TSA accepts credit card, (VISA, MasterCard, American Express and Discover). If payment is with a certified/cashier's bank check, or money order, they must be made payable to IDEMIA. Personal checks are NOT accepted.
- Attend your appointment. You can try “walking in,” but remember, anyone with an appointment will take precedence.
- Make your payment and submit your application. Answer “YES” to questions 1 & 2, make sure that your occupation is listed as “MARINER.”
- Check the TSA website from time to time to see if your card is ready for pick-up. Turn-around time is averaging 2-3 weeks.
- After having received your card, call either one of the following two numbers (866-347-8942 or 866-347-9942) & ensure your occupation is listed as “MARINER.” The person you talk to will give you a confirmation number. Write that number & the date you called on one of the copies that you submit to me.
Am I eligible to get a TWIC?
- Any US citizen may apply for a TWIC.
- Any resident alien may apply for a TWIC.
- Please note that any foreign student on an F-1 visa should see the STCW Officer for a special procedure before applying for TWIC.
I have my TWIC. What’s next?
- When you receive your card, submit two (2) clear copies of the card (front and back on the same sheet of paper) to your Company Officer and (1) copy will be required for your MMC application packet.
- You will need your TWIC for access to the ship.
What should I do if I’m denied a TWIC?
- First, you need to notify the STCW Officer in writing of the reason that you were denied.
- If you were denied on eligibility criteria, there may be no recourse.
- If you were denied for a different reason, please make an appointment to see the STCW Officer and discuss the appeal process.