International Maritime Business
The International Maritime Business (IMBU) program prepares cadets for careers as business professionals serving the complex global supply chain.
Cadets acquire wide-ranging business skills — such as accounting, economics, finance, and negotiations — and maritime industry knowledge — such as admiralty law, port terminal operations, and shipping. These unique skills provide cadets with an edge in the increasingly global marketplace. With 90% of goods traveling by ship at some point in the journey from origin to destination, the industry is in need of professionals with this specific focus.
Accredited by the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE), this program requires
at two co-ops and an international or maritime experiential component to build practical maritime experience and develop a global perspective while creating relationships worldwide. Cadets may elect to participate in a sea term in place of a co-op or experiential learning.
Required coursework will include the following:
- Broad foundation in general education
- Breadth across business disciplines
- Depth within maritime domain
- Specialization through major electives
- Applied experiential learning through cooperatives
- International, maritime, and virtual experiences
This program prepares graduates in the foundation of general business, with a focus on the maritime sector, and prepares them for careers in the fields of management, logistics, transportation, operations, shipping, chartering, and maritime business. These unique skills provide cadets with an edge in the increasingly global marketplace. Many of our graduates go on to work in the following fields:
- General Business
- Shipping & Operations
- Vessel Chartering & Brokerage
- Port & Terminal Operations
- Maritime Law & Insurance
- Supply Chain Management
The International Maritime Business Unit has various programs for International Experiential Learning and Cultural Awareness. This specialized education, training and learning is an important part of the success of any person involved in the shipping industry because of its global nature.
The IMB program embodies the Learn-Do-Learn philosophy. We have a trio of 6-credit “Do” courses where students apply what they have learned in the classroom out in the field through hands-on experiences - including working for employers, visiting maritime centers around the world, etc.. Similarly, there are many courses with hands-on practical components (e.g., portfolio analysis using the resources in the Riccardi investment center, live case studies consulting to real-world clients, and obtaining professional certifications).
Our program serves the international maritime business interests of the Commonwealth and the nation. The emphasis on curricular design is aligned to the educational philosophy of the Academy: Learn–Do–Learn. This successful learning model has been developed through opportunities for the practical application of theories and concepts learned through the sea term and cooperative experiences in real world corporate settings. The mission of the IMB department is to create a disciplined, hard‐working and positive‐thinking professional who will be generally well‐versed in all functional areas of international business, and at the same time, will have specific expertise in the maritime sector, where such expertise will be earned as much from practical experience as from a rigorous academic program.
Broad-Based Student Learning Goals
- Students will possess a strong foundation in the core functional areas in international business and management, as well as in maritime business.
- Students will be able to analyze complex information and data using decision support tools, quantitative techniques and IT skills in a variety of contexts related to business and transportation.
- Students will develop a strong sense of discipline, integrity, responsibility, self-confidence, leadership and inter-personal skills necessary to work effectively in an increasingly complex and dynamic world.
- Students will be able to work, individually or as part of a team, in projects to evaluate and analyze critical issues and cases, and present their findings professionally.
- Students will acquire hands-on experiential learning through cooperative programs at sea or ashore which afford unique opportunities for integrating, applying and sharpening further their shipping and business knowledge and professional skills.
Broad-Based Operational Goals
- The IMB Department will offer rigorous, challenging and current industry-oriented programs that effectively prepare students for excellent professional careers.
- The IMB Department will attract and retain faculty who are highly-qualified and passionate about their teaching fields and are dedicated in promoting the academic progress and broader development of their students.
- The IMB Department will provide students with personalized guidance, support and motivation to bring out the best in them and to ensure that they will progress systematically through their curriculum.
- The IMB Department will ensure that teaching takes places in a setting that nurtures students’ active participation and interaction with their instructors.
- The IMB Department will offer a highly conducive academic environment that provides students with adequate access to a variety of opportunities and up-to-date resources for them to effectively carry out their learning activities.
- The IMB Department will work to ensure that students have good opportunities beyond the classroom to work and interact with industry.
The certification opportunities available to IMB students are almost limitless. For example, by virtue of having taken our business courses, students will be ready to sit for a variety of certification examinations, such as Certificate in Business Analysis, Certified Associate in Project Management, or Certified Managerial Accountant. Our showcase certification is offered through the Institute for Chartered Shipbrokers. Starting with the Business of Shipping, our seven maritime courses provide you the knowledge necessary to sit for the qualifying exams right on campus in the only exam center in the US. With as little as two exams you can obtain a Foundation Diploma, and by passing seven exams, you will earn what's known as the Professional Qualifying Examination, a premier, globally recognized, maritime credential.
We are accredited by the International Accreditation Council for Business Education (IACBE). Specialized programmatic accreditation by IACBE is evidence of quality and, through external validation and confirmation, ensures we comply with high principles of excellence and we follow best practices in business education.