For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
In late May, you received an email to your @maritime.edu email address with your math placement assignment for this fall. This placement was determined by Academy faculty using your cumulative high school GPA. Your personal assignment is one of the following:
- Placement in Algebra/Trig for this fall. This is our foundational math course and is the ‘starting point’ for all MMA students. If you have any questions regarding your placement you may contact our Math & Science Department Chair, Dr. Lori Noble (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please be sure to use your @maritime.edu email address.
- Placement into required Math Enrichment. If you received this placement, it is because, based on your high school GPA, our faculty feels you need additional math preparation for success at Mass Maritime. In this instance, you have three potential options:
- Earn a “C” or better in our online summer Intermediate Algebra course ($275.00).
- This is the recommended option for students to ensure readiness as it will be taught with a live instructor. This course will run June 22-July 29, M/W/every other Friday, from 8:30am-11:30am. Register now.
- Complete the online ALEKS program “MMA Prep for Algebra/Trig Summer 2020” by July 31st ($25.00).
- On July 31st, you must take the online assessment through the program and earn an 80% or better. Please note, that this is a self-paced, self-taught program. For more information please reference the ALEKS tab on the upper left-hand side of this page. Register now.
- If the above options are not properly fulfilled, you are limited to 4 credit-bearing courses for the fall semester and are required to take our co-requisite mathematics course simultaneously with Algebra/Trig. Please note, this one-time reduced course load semester should not delay graduation.
- You were conditionally admitted pending completion of the MAPS program. Due to the cancellation of the traditional MAPS programs, you are now required to complete our Intermediate Algebra course. This online course runs June 22-July 29 and meets Monday, Wednesday, and every other Friday from 8:30am-11:30am. The cost of the course is $275.00. Upon successful completion of the course, you will be placed into Algebra/Trig for the fall semester.
- Placement based on transfer credits. If you are entering Mass Maritime as a transfer student with credits from a community college or other university, your math placement will be assessed based on your previously earned math credits.
Please remember to check your @maritime.edu email to review the placement assignment you received. If you have any questions, please contact Lori-Ann Noble, Science and Math Department Chair (email@example.com).