The program was developed to promote diversity at Massachusetts Maritime Academy in our faculty population by creating a potential pipeline as access for underrepresented individuals to gain teaching experience and, potentially, full-time appointments. The program also aims to enhance the growth and awareness of MMA students by exposing them to a greater diversity of thought and scholarship. These fellowships will enhance the academic careers of scholars who have recently received their Ph.D. degrees and are at the early stages of their careers.
These fellowships will enhance the academic careers of scholars who have recently received their Ph.D. degrees and are at the early stages of their careers. The program also potentially benefits the Academy by introducing and complementing existing curricula with underrepresented fields.
The term of appointment will be for one year with an opportunity for extension. Selected candidates will have a three-quarter teaching load and a one-quarter non-teaching assignment. Applicants may bring existing research to campus or be assigned duties relevant to their interest that coincide with the needs of the Academy.
Compensation and Resources
- Teaching Stipend (9 credits): $14,004/semester (based on $1556 /credit and subject to contractual increases)
- Corollary Duties or Research Stipend: $5000 /semester (project either based on the candidate’s proposal or an assigned research project with either the hosting faculty department or the Office of Institutional Effectiveness or other areas of interest).
- Room & Board: housing in dormitory apartment (or at Beachmoor) and all-access dining card for the campus dining hall.
- Travel Expenses: $500/semester to cover the cost of travel to temporarily relocate for the semester.
- Total Compensated Benefit per Semester: $19,504.
- All citizens, nationals and permanent residents (holders of a Permanent Resident Card) of the United States, regardless of race, national origin, religion, gender, age, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation.
- Applicants for the upcoming academic year must have completed a Ph.D. degree within the last five (5) years. Candidates who do not yet hold the degree, but expect to by June 30, should supply a letter from their home institution indicating that the applicant is expected to receive the degree before September 1.
Application and Process
- Please submit application materials to email@example.com.
- Complete applications must include:
- MMA Application for Employment
- Applicants should submit a personal statement (of no more than two pages) outlining their professional goals and MMA courses that could potentially be taught (please review the online Course Catalog and any other information relevant to their candidacy.
- MMA Affirmative Action Disclosure form
- Academic transcript (original)
- Curriculum vitae
- Three letters of recommendation
Now accepting rolling applications. Priority consideration for the upcoming semester. Questions should be directed to Elizabeth Benway, Dean of Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (508) 830-5086.
- Potential contribution to broadening diversity on campus and in the classroom through personal background and experience.
- Evidence of sustained personal engagement with communities that are underrepresented in colleges and universities.
- Candidates must, at a minimum, meet the qualifications of an Instructor in the department in which they are assigned.
- Evidence of superior academic achievement.
- Commitment to a career in teaching at the collegiate level.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, a resume, an MMA application, Affirmative Action form, and the contact information of five (5) professional references. These forms are located on the employment opportunities link under Human Resources on the MMA website www.maritime.edu. Application materials may be attached and sent electronically to email@example.com. Alternatively, you may send your application materials by USPS to: Human Resources, Massachusetts Maritime Academy, 101 Academy Drive, Buzzards Bay, MA 02532. Finalist must complete a pre-employment drug screening and background check.
Massachusetts Maritime Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage members from historically underrepresented communities, women and veterans to apply.