- Ability to teach an academic course load of 12 credits per semester in a variety of professional maritime subjects such as: Basic Safety Training, Radar, ARPA, ECDIS, Ship Construction, GMDSS, Tanker Operations, Small Vessel Operations, Seamanship, Terrestrial and Celestial Navigation, Mate of Towing or any other courses or practical laboratories within the Marine Transportation Department's curriculum. This curriculum may be viewed on line at the Mass. Maritime Academy's website. Candidates must be ready to prepare course materials and examinations with minimum assistance.
- All selected must be capable of assessing cadets to STCW standards, with or without simulation and be familiar with USCG, IMO/STCW mariner training and competency assessment procedures.
- Faculty hired will require Sea Term participation in the annual training cruise on alternating years (all maritime safety personnel are subject to random drug testing).
- All selected candidates must comply with Mass. Maritime Academy military customs, uniforms and ranks as outlined in the current contractual agreement.
- All teaching positions at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy require an understanding of the teaching and advising requirements in the college setting and demonstrated potential to fulfill the applicable evaluation criteria. All teaching positions at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy require computer literacy, excellent written and oral communication skills, and an understanding of the Academy's unique mission.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Three year's full-time experience in professional service in the maritime field or have three years teaching at an accredited institution of higher learning (or combination thereof)
- Licensing requirement:
Current USCG Second Mate's Oceans Unlimited License- or -
Current USCG Master 500 GRT or 1600 GRT Oceans License with command time- or -
Master of Towing Vessels with command time
- Full STCW 95 Certification
- An accredited Bachelor's Degree in Marine Transportation or appropriate field.
- Current USCG Chief Mate’s Oceans Unlimited License
- Master’s Degree in appropriate field
- Recent experience teaching or in professional service in the maritime field
- Ten year’s full time teaching or experience in professional service in the maritime field
- Licensed command time
- Endorsements such as Mate of Towing, Dynamic Positioning, Tankerman PIC DL, LG, Barge
- Experience with assessment of student learning
How to Apply
Application Deadline: 01 November 2021 To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume/CV, an MMA application, Affirmative Action form and the contact information of five (5) professional references. These forms are located on the employment link on our website: www.maritime.edu. Application materials may be saved, attached, and sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you may send your application materials by USPS to: Human Resources, Massachusetts Maritime Academy, 101 Academy Drive, Buzzards Bay, MA 02532. Applicants selected for interview must submit original transcripts and be prepared to deliver a fifteen minute presentation on a relevant topic. Finalist must complete a pre-employment physical, drug screening, background check, and COVID-19 vaccine verification.
Massachusetts Maritime Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage members from historically underrepresented communities, women and veterans to apply.