Veteran Students



Welcome to Massachusetts Maritime Academy and thank you for your service.  Our Office of Student Financial Services is here to assist you with all aspects of financing your education here at the Academy .  In addition to the Director of Financial Aid, Ms. Cathy Kedski, we also have a Financial Aid Counselor, Ms. Marissa Barros, on staff to guide you through the process. Our VA Certifying Official is Ms. Brie Klaassen, who will work with you regarding any military benefits you will receive while in attendance.  We can be reached at 508-830-5400. Prior to borrowing any educational loans, you are encouraged to seek all free avenues first, including your military benefits and other federal, state and institutional grant funding. You are encouraged to view the rest of our website, especially the TYPES OF AID link as well as the COST OF ATTENDANCE link. As a veteran, you may be eligible for both state and federal education benefits. The following information has been provided by the Massachusetts Department of Veterans’ Services.

To begin the application process for federal veteran educational benefits, veterans and dependents of veterans are encouraged to visit the GI Bill ® Website. 

To begin the application process for National Guard tuition and fee waivers, Massachusetts guard members are encouraged to visit the Massachusetts National Guard Website. Students must submit a Certificate of Eligibility to the Office of Student Financial Services each semester.

To begin the application process for the categorical tuition waiver, veterans, who are Massachusetts residents pursuing an undergraduate degree at Massachusetts Maritime Academy are encouraged to visit the Massachusetts Office of Student Financial Assistance Website. Students must submit a copy of your DD214 to the Office of Student Financial Services.

State Benefits


Mass Maritime offers a ‘categorical tuition waiver’ as well as a ½ fee waiver to all veterans and active duty service-members who are permanent and legal residents of Massachusetts. This waiver can be used for any undergraduate credit-based course, provided the student is officially enrolled in an undergraduate degree program at Mass Maritime. This waiver covers full tuition and ½ fees.

Students must submit a copy of their form DD214 to the Office of Student Financial Services to receive this benefit.

If you are an actively-drilling soldier or airman of the Massachusetts National Guard, and are officially enrolled in a degree program at Mass Maritime, you are eligible for a 100% tuition and fee waiver. The waiver covers mandatory tuition and fees for undergraduates (does not cover enrollment fee, seabag, books, airfare, room and board expenses).  It covers approximately 81% of the total cost of the program for Graduate Students (does not cover food, lodging and books).

Student must submit a Certificate of Eligibility to the Mass Maritime Office of Student Financial Services each semester. This certificate is issued by the Military Division of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.  Undergraduate students are encouraged to request a COE for 12 credits during the fall and spring semesters even if they are taking 15 or 18 credits....the cost is the same and it allows you to stretch the benefits to help with winter/summer as well.

To apply for these benefits and for more information, visit Massachusetts National Guard Website. National Guard Reservists may also qualify for the Montgomery GI Bill ® (see below) through the Chapter 1606 program.

The Welcome Home Veterans Bonus is a tax-free cash payment available to eligible United States service members activated since September 11, 2001. The Massachusetts State Treasurer’s Office, Veteran’s Bonus Division administers this benefit. To find out if you are eligible and how to apply, visit the State Treasurer’s website. Questions regarding this bonus should be directed to the Veterans’ Bonus Division at (617) 367-9333 x539 or by email at

Federal Benefits

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

  • The Veterans Education Assistance Act of 2008 amends Title 38, United States Code to include a new Chapter 33. This chapter provides increased benefits for veterans pursuing an approved education program at an approved degree-granting institution. Both the undergraduate and graduate degree programs at MMA are approved programs.
  • To be eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill ®, you must have received an honorable discharge; and served at least 90 aggregate days on or after September 11, 2001; or been discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 continuous days.
  • Based upon your length of service, you are entitled to receive a percentage of the following:
  • The cost of tuition (in-state rate) and fees
    • Fees include orientation fee, general fee, technology fee, health service fee, student government association fee, program fee, STCW fee, operational fee, instructor fee. 
    • The VA does not send us any payment for the cost of the seabag, books, room and board. 
  • A monthly housing allowance equal to the Department of Defense (DoD) E-5 with dependents based on the Buzzards Bay zip code for undergraduate students (currently $2400) and the 100% on line rate (currently $871) for Graduate students to be paid directly to you. Room and board charges are not paid directly to the school, therefore, the student is responsible for paying these charges up front.
  • A book stipend of up to $1000 per academic year (to be paid directly to you)
  • Students are responsible for settling any outstanding charges not covered by this benefit with the Office of Student Financial Services prior to the start of each semester.  MMA will wait for the payment from the VA and will not impose any late fees for these specific charges.  Late fees will only be imposed if the student does not pay his/her portion of the bill by the designated due date.
  • Students enrolled in undergraduate and graduate degree programs at MMA are eligible for Chapter 33 benefits.
  • Need-based financial aid, student loans and scholarships as well as tuition and/or fee waivers can be combined with your GI Bill ®. Students should contact the Office of Student Financial Services for application requirements and deadlines.
  • Any out of state undergraduate student receiving veteran benefits will be charged the in-state tuition rate while attending MMA.  Even if your benefits are exhausted before completing your educational program, you will continue to receive the in-state tuition rate.  If you have been awarded any merit aid based on your residency and the assumption that you will be paying a higher tuition rate, that scholarship may be reduced or canceled.
  • For more information visit or call (888) 442-4551
  • If you have served in the Armed Forces for at least six years you may transfer your Post-9/11 GI Bill ® benefits to your spouse. After ten years of service, you may also transfer these benefits to your children. If you transfer benefits you may be required to serve up to an additional four years. The transfer must be approved by the Department of Defense before you separate from active duty or the Guard/Reserves. Follow these steps to transfer benefits:
  • Ensure that your dependent is enrolled in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) and obtain an approved Transfer of Education Benefits (TEB) for your dependent. For more information, visit the TEB website.
  • Once the TEB is approved, your dependent must apply to the VA for Post-9/11 GI Bill ® benefits. For more information, visit Before the dependent can use benefits, he or she must be officially enrolled in a degree program at MMA.
  • Dependent children must exhaust the benefit by the age of 26.
  • The student will receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA, which should be forwarded to the Office of Student Financial Services.  We will begin the certification process with the VA once the semester has begun.
  • The Montgomery GI Bill ® (Chapter 30 of Title 38, U.S. Code) can be used to pay for school and /or training if you elected to contribute a portion of your military pay toward the GI Bill ® Program. Whether you are a qualified member of the Selected Reserve, an activated Reservist or active duty personnel will determine which GI Bill ® program you are entitled to use.
  • Chapter 30 – Active Duty
  • Chapter 35 – for dependents of veterans killed or 100% disabled while serving
  • Chapter 1606 – for reserve members – pre-deployment
  • Chapter 1607 – for reserve members – post-deployment
  • Students enrolled in undergraduate and graduate degree programs at MMA are eligible for Chapter benefits.
  • These chapters do not provide tuition and fee payments to the school; the student receives a monthly benefit directly from the VA. Students are responsible for settling their bill with MMA prior to the start of each semester.
  • Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following your release from active duty. Those who served after September 11, 2001 may be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill ®.
  • For federal GI Bill ® benefit eligibility, application and payment information, visit the GI Bill ® website or call (888) 442.4551.
  • Student must submit a Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) to the Office of Student Financial Services.  The NOBE can be obtained through your reserve unit.
  • Students must verify their enrollment with the VA on a monthly basis. To verify your enrollment electronically visit

Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) Scholarships

These scholarships are awarded on the basis of merit rather than financial need.


Application packets, information about eligibility, and the telephone number of an ROTC advisor in your area are available from 1-888-550-ARMY

Air Force ROTC

The Air Force ROTC (AFROTC) college scholarship program targets students pursuing certain foreign language and technical degrees, although students entering a wide variety of majors may be accepted. Information about AFROTC scholarships is available from 1-866-4-AFROTC


Navy ROTC offers both four-year and partial scholarships. For information and applications, contact 1-800-NAV-ROTC, ext. 29395


Veterans Service Organization Scholarships

The following organizations offer scholarships primarily to active duty military, veterans, and/or their families. Further information is at the websites listed.

American Legion
Disabled American Veterans
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Veterans of Foreign Wars
Vietnam Veterans of America


U.S. Department of Education Grants
The U.S. Department of Education makes grant funds available to students whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11. At the time of the parent’s or guardian’s death, the student must have been younger than 24 years old and/or enrolled at least part-time at an institution of higher education. Before a student can receive such grant funds, he or she must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at Additional information about the FAFSA and finding money for college can be found at