Massachusetts Maritime Academy will be utilizing the SSV Ernestina-Morrissey both internally at the academy and externally with community and K-12 partnerships. Vessel programming and curricula seek to provide seamanship, leadership, STEM, historical and cultural training and awareness to Massachusetts Maritime Academy cadets, the Commonwealth’s South Coast community and beyond. All programs aboard the SSV Ernestina-Morrissey will be hands-on experiential learning opportunities that encourage teamwork, problem solving and accountability.
The SSV Ernestina-Morrissey’s programming will include her rich and unique history, specializing in fishing, arctic expeditions, scientific research and the vessel’s use as a Cape Verdean packet ship and immigration vessel.
In addition to the rich history of the SSV Ernestina-Morrissey learning opportunities will include:
- Developing leadership and critical thinking skills
- Marine Ecology and Oceanography
- Introduction to shipboard safety
- STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) learning through marine science,
- Comprehensive and immersive marine transportation education aboard a training sailing vessel.
- Introduction to life at sea in a shared community
- Environmental Stewardship
- Exploration of our local waters both on and off the ship