Executive Offices, Harrington Building
101 Academy Drive
Buzzards Bay, MA 02532
MMA Human Resources
101 Academy Drive
Buzzards Bay, MA 02532
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday - Friday
General inquiries may be directed to (508) 830-5092
Non-secure fax: (508) 830-5004
Equal Opportunity and Diversity
non-discrimination and accommodations
Equal opportunity, diversity and affirmative action are an integral part of the mission of Massachusetts Maritime Academy. The Academy promotes a Policy of non-discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital or parental status, or veterans status. This Equal Opportunity, Diversity and Affirmative Action Plan and Complaint Form may be reviewed in hardcopy in Human Resources, all Student Services offices, Health Services, Athletics and the Library.
We welcome students, faculty, staff, and visitors with disabilities and are committed to providing an accommodating environment on our campuses. If you are a current or future student requiring academic support services for a disability, please visit the Student Disability Resources site.
Student Disability Resources (requires login)
The EEO Office also facilitates reasonable and effective accommodations for those members of the Academy community who have a documented disability. To request an accommodation, employees should complete the Workplace Accommodation Request Form and submit to the Dean of Human Resources.
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Massachusetts law (Chapter 151B) prohibit discrimination on the basis of disability. Massachusetts Maritime Academy provides reasonable accommodations to staff and faculty who are otherwise qualified individuals to enable them to perform the essential functions of their job, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the college. A disability is a physical or mental condition that substantially limits one or more of a person's major life functions. Faculty and staff may request an accommodation by informing their supervisor or by contacting the Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Accommodation Request Forms are available for download by clicking the button below.
Workplace Accommodation Request (requires login)
Another program overseen by the Office of Equal Opportunity & Diversity is Safe Harbor. We recognize that there are unique issues that members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning communities face in their lives and on campus. We are committed to creating a safe environment that promotes respect and dignity for all members of the university community. Safe Harbor is a program where faculty and staff voluntarily participate in training to become more knowledgeable about these important issues. If you are seeking a trained Academy staff or faculty member who is especially sensitive to these issues and has designated their office or work space a Safe Harbor to be yourself or discuss LGBTQ issues, look for the Safe Harbor logo on their door.
If you are a member of the Academy family interested in becoming a Safe Harbor ally, contact Elizabeth Benway at (508) 830-5086.
President's Task Force on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The creation of the President's Task Force on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion addresses our ambition to embrace both diversity and inclusion because, without one, the other is not sustainable. The Task Force was established by Admiral McDonald to develop a comprehensive, campus-wide approach to the Academy's commitment to inclusion excellence.
The President's Task Force on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion serves the Academy by:
- Identifying strategies/activities in support of the success of all students and employees by, on an ongoing basis, 1) generating and reviewing relevant institutional data; 2) collecting and reviewing information on institutional best practices, and 3) identifying and studying relevant organizational reports and literature
- Advocating issues of diversity for faculty, staff, and students
- Reviewing policies and procedures as they pertain to the recruitment and retention of a diverse faculty, staff, and student body
- Providing and coordinating support services to ensure all faculty, staff, and students are heard and are part of an inclusive environment
- Monitoring enacted strategies/activities for progress in meeting desired outcomes
The Task Force seeks to increase awareness of diversity and maintain an inclusive environment through:
- Sponsoring of programming for all members of the Academy
- Creating professional development opportunities
- Recognizing faculty and staff that have demonstrated a commitment to diversity
- Publicizing information about diversity-related events throughout the campus
- Encouraging a wide spectrum of diversity within the Academy