For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
Maintenance Mechanic maintains the regular Preventative Maintenance (PM), cleaning and service of warehouse equipment and machinery of this refrigerated warehouse.
Primary Tasks & Responsibilities:
• Perform refrigeration repairs, cleaning and full service including:
• Monitor entire refrigeration system.
• Check all freezer temperatures.
• Do a walk thru of all freezers checking evaporators
• Perform leak check of entire refrigeration system (weekly basis).
• Check all levels of refrigeration vessels.
• Take readings on all screws compressors, compressor engines and gas generators, if running.
• Evaluate/complete what needs repair from previous night.
• Handle repairs and maintenance of all warehouse machinery (i.e. forklifts and other lift equipment).
• Ensure preventative maintenance is performed on all machinery.
• Set up and install new equipment, modifies or renovates equipment as directed.
• Responsible for cleaning and maintaining trucks.
• Coordinate with General Manager on upcoming major projects that need to be balanced into the budget.
• Responsible for general warehouse upkeep (i.e. paint, floor repair, door repair, etc.).
• Perform necessary engine service on Caterpillar natural gas engine.
Every 750 hours:
• Replace spark plugs
• Change oil & filter
• Set intake & exhaust valves
• Check coolant level & pH
• Change air filter
• Change transmission filter & oil
• Maintain complete inventory records of machinery, equipment repairs and service cycle activities.
• Comply with all internal policies and Occupational Safety and Health Administrative (OSHA) rules while working.
• Report defects, damages and malfunctions of any kind to the supervising authority.
• Perform other duties and special projects as needed. Loading goods on to the forklift in a systematic procedure.
• Following proper handling procedure of the goods.
Responsibility of conducting regular inspection of the forklift to ensure its safety and ability of performing the operations.
• Maintaining and working in accord with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration norms (OSHA).
• Partaking in training for license renewal.
• Performing other duties as needed.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements:
• Ability to identify technical defects in refrigeration system and all other equipment in the facility.
• Ability to read and interpret equipment manuals and work orders to perform required maintenance and service.
• General knowledge of refrigeration and overall warehouse maintenance skills is desirable.
• Team player
• Ability to perform considerable manual labor.
• Ability to work overtime and weekends occasionally as required.
• Must have a solid work ethic, excellent interpersonal skills, and ability to work well with others.
• Ability to efficiently coordinate work with co-workers and take orders from superiors.
• Awareness of the safety and official procedures for handling equipment.
• Ability to effectively manage time and meet set targets and deadlines
Physical Demands: The physical demands described below are representative of those required of an individual performing the essential duties of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
• Stand, walk; use hands and feet to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; talk or hear, twist or bend.
• Use of scanners, telephones, and warehouse machinery.
• The employee must be capable of lifting up to 75 lbs.
• Work longer hours as needed to satisfy customer, daily and seasonal requirements.
• Able to lift, push, pull and move product above head.
Working Environment: The characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential duties of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
• Work in an atmosphere as cold as - 5 degrees F.
• The noise level in the work area is usually moderate.
• Personal interaction and communication required to and from other people is extremely high.
• Daily workflow is fast paced.