For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
Institutional effectiveness reflects the extent to which and the quality with which an institution achieves its expectations*. The mission of the Office of Institutional Effectiveness is to support institutional effectiveness efforts at the Academy by promoting a culture of data-driven decision making and continuous improvement through the planning, coordination, and implementation of institutional research and assessment practices.
The primary goal of the Office of Institutional Effectiveness is to oversee the collection, analysis, and distribution of institutional data to support strategic planning, decision making, program development, assessment of student learning, accreditation, and program review. In keeping with established codes of ethics and professional practice, the Office strives to fulfill its duties in a professionally responsible manner. The main objectives of the Office are as follows:
- To execute the collection and reporting of data and key indicators for internal and external use (both mandatory and voluntary reporting).
- To execute the administration, analysis and/or reporting of surveys and evaluations for internal and external use.
- To support the assessment of student learning outcomes.
- To monitor success in meeting targets for performance indicators and achievement of student learning outcomes.
- To perform analysis of institutional data and related data (e.g., peer or benchmarking data) for continued improvement.
- To support strategic planning, program development and review, and accreditation efforts.
- To promote a systematic, well-documented approach to maintaining and reporting official Academy information and data.
*Adapted from Brint, S., & Clotfelter, C. (2016). U.S. higher education effectiveness. RSF: The Russel Sage Foundation Journal of the Social Sciences, 2(1), 2-37. http://muse.jhu.edu/article/612990/pdf