Tax Return Information

Taxes is probably the last thing on your mind, while you are busy setting into college life. Nevertheless, it's important to comply with the tax obligations of your visa. As an international student or scholar in the US, you are oobligated to file a US tax return during your stay. Understanding the US tax system and filing a tax return is an overwhelming and confusing experience for any student.

You must file a US tax return if any of the following apply:

  • You received a stipend, grant or allowance in 2015
  • You received income from working on or off campus during 2015
  • You didn't receive income in the US in 2015 - you're still legally obliged to file with the IRS to declare no earnings.

Why should you file a tax return?

  • The most important reason to file a return is that it is a legal requirement of the United States. Failing to file may impact the status of your current visa and make future US visa applications difficult.
  • Avoid penalties - If you miss the April 15th deadline you may face late filing penalties. Filing prior to this date prevents this, so the earlier you file, the better.
  • You may be owed a tax refund - most international students filing a tax return are due a tax refund for overpaid tax. The average refund is $800 - $1000. It's worth checking if you are due a refund!

To help with your tax return, we suggest Sprintax online tax preparation software to help you prepare your 8843 form or Federal and State returns.