For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
Spring 2020 Transfer Credit Policy Amendment
Given the extraordinary circumstances of the Spring 2020 semester, the following statement has been added to Undergrade Transfer Credit Policy:
For courses taken in Spring 2020 semester, a grade of ‘P’ or its equivalent will also be deemed successfully completed.
The full Amended Undergraduate Transfer Credit Policy is as follows:
In order for a student enrolled at the Academy to receive credit for a course taken at another institution, the following conditions must be met:
- The transfer course must be offered at an accredited institution;
- The catalog description of the course must be substantially similar to that of the corresponding Academy course and be of equal or greater credit hours;
- A request for approval to take the course for transfer credit must be submitted to the appropriate department chairperson at least two weeks prior to the start of the course;
- A student who requests a transfer course while enrolled during a semester at the Academy as a full-time student will have his or her course load reviewed specifically to determine whether the transfer course will constitute an overload or excessive load for the semester
- Authorization to take the course for transfer credit will be granted or denied at the discretion of the Dean of Undergraduate Studies with the advice and consent of the respective chairperson of the academic department in which the course is offered at the Academy;
- A grade of ‘C’ or better (2.0 or higher) must be obtained in the course for it to be deemed successfully completed. For courses taken in Spring 2020 semester, a grade of ‘P’ or its equivalent will also be deemed successfully completed. The grade received for the course transferred will not be included in calculating the student’s CGPA and will not appear on the transcript;
- An official transcript showing completion of the course must be sent to the Registrar’s office no later than six weeks after the course completion. Credit for the course will be awarded once the official transcript is received;
- No Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (STCW) course may be taken online;
- A student must be in academic good standing in accordance with MMA policy at the time of his or her request to take an online course.