For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
Education: Ph.D. in Ocean Systems Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology; M.S. in Ocean Systems Management & M.S. in Technology and Policy, Massachusetts Institute of Technology; B.S. in Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Background: Dr. Hauke L. Kite-Powell is a Research Specialist at the Marine Policy Center of the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution. He holds degrees in naval architecture (B.S), technology and policy (M.S.), and ocean systems management (M.S. and Ph.D.) from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Dr. Kite-Powell also holds appointments as a lecturer at Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the Massachusetts Maritime Academy, and as a senior analyst with Marsoft Inc. Dr. Kite-Powell’s research focuses on public and private sector management issues for marine resources and the economic activities that depend on them. Current and recent research projects include work on:
- Costs and benefits from improved ocean observing activities
- Policy issues surrounding use of ocean “space” for non-traditional activities, such as aquaculture and wind power
- Potential of shellfish aquaculture to contribute to nutrient level management in coastal water bodies and to food security in developing regions
- Economics and management of marine aquaculture operations
- Environmental and ecological implications of long-term growth in marine aquaculture industries
- Economic dimensions of climate change effects on marine ecosystems, shoreline change, and the carbon cycle
- Effectiveness and cost of measures to reduce ship strike risk and fishing gear entanglement risk to the North Atlantic Right Whale
- Economics and development of the liquefied natural gas (LNG) shipping market