For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
President's Task Force on Diversity & Inclusion
MMA recognizes diversity and inclusion as valuable key factors in fulfilling our mission of providing a quality education for graduates serving in the merchant marine, the military services, and those who serve the interests of the Commonwealth, Nation and global marketplace. The creation of the President's Task Force on Diversity & Inclusion addresses our ambition to embrace both diversity and inclusion, because without one the other is not sustainable. The Task Force was established by Admiral McDonald to develop a comprehensive, campus-wide approach to the Academy's commitment to diversity and inclusion. Additionally, the Admiral made MMA an institutional member of the Leading for Change Higher Education Diversity Consortium. Through this partnership, the Task Force will report data and share best practices with the Consortium, collaborating with institutions of higher education in Massachusetts and the greater New England region in an effort to identify student and employee diversity best practices through uniform and transparent use of data, institutional benchmarks, and reflective practice.
The President's Task Force on Diversity & Inclusion serves the Academy by:
- Identifying strategies/activities in support of the success of all students and employees by, on an ongoing basis, 1) generating and reviewing relevant institutional data; 2) collecting and reviewing information on institutional best practices; and 3) identifying and studying relevant organizational reports and literature Creating
- Advocating issues of diversity for faculty, staff, and students
- Reviewing policies and procedures as they pertain to the recruitment and retention of a diverse faculty, staff, and student body
- Providing and coordinating support services to ensure all faculty, staff, and students are heard and are part of an inclusive environment
- Monitoring enacted strategies/activities for progress in meeting desired outcomes
The Task Force seeks to increase awareness of diversity and maintain an inclusive environment through:
- Sponsoring of programming for all members of the Academy
- Creating professional development opportunities
- Recognizing faculty and staff that have demonstrated a commitment to diversity
- Publicizing information about diversity related events throughout the campus
- Encouraging a wide spectrum of diversity within the Academy