For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
President's COVID 19 Response Update
Letter from the President
To: The Massachusetts Maritime Academy Community
Subject: Covid-19 Response Update
Faculty, Staff and Cadets,
As you know, I have prioritized the Academy's actions regarding the Covid-19 outbreak as follows:
- To keep our cadets, faculty and staff - and by extension, their families - safe
- To keep the Academy from becoming a mass-transmission center (such as the BioGen conference)
- To find a path to get our 1/c cadets to degree completion in time for the 20 June Commencement
- To minimize the academic disruption for the 2/c, 3/c and 4/c cadets
Given the latest data and medical advice that I have received and in consideration of the aforementioned priorities, please be advised of the following actions.
- All on campus classes are suspended for the week of March 16 - 20 with the expectation that the Academy will move to a predominantly online/distance learning format beginning Monday 23 March.
- It is expected that some coursework will still need to be accomplished on campus. In these limited instances, the Academy will allow small student group work to occur on campus with the prior approval of the Provost in conjunction with Health Services.
- Cadets are directed to vacate the residence halls (including the dormitory, Mariner Inn and Hampton Inn) over the coming weekend but not later than 1200 on Tuesday 17 March. Cadets who have a hardship vacating the residence halls may request permission to remain in the dorms. Space will also be made available for cadets in need of storage for their gear. Information on this process can be found at http://bit.ly/MMAHousingPetition or by visiting the Commandant's office.
- Campus administrative offices will remain open during this time and all employees are expected to report to work as usual. Employees with Covid-19 related concerns should contact Human Resources.
- The status of residential life on campus and in-person learning will be reevaluated on or about 3 April 2020.
- Information regarding the Academy's refund policy for matters such as room and board fees will be forthcoming next week.
Please check the website for updates on this matter. I thank the entire Academy family for working collaboratively through this difficult time.
My sincere regards,
RADM Francis X. McDonald