For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
Shipyard Dock Master
We are pleased to accept resumes for Shipyard Dock Master.
This is a full-time position with competitive pay, based on experience in Norfolk, VA.
• Supervise all docking and undocking operations of vessels in an efficient manner while ensuring the safety of all personnel and equipment
• Lead and manage a team of shipwright personnel to execute all docking operations.
• Interface with Operations Management to schedule the docking and undocking of vessels.
• Read and interpret docking plans/arrangements, develop blocking plans with safe blocking loads based upon sound calculations, and be capable of layout/safe arrangement of blocks for docking.
• Execute safe dry-docking evolutions and vessel launching, analyze tide and wind conditions, and maintain weight logs and docking plans.
• Responsible for the technical work in docking, rigging, hauling, and undocking vessels.
-5-10 years shipboard/shipyard experience
-Experience/vast familarity with floating dry docks, marine railways, and large marine travel lifts
-Reading and comprehension of docking plans and blocking plans
-Able to build blocks for dry docking from the existing plans and sketches
-Must be familiar with ARMY, MSC, USCG and NOAA rules and regulations on all docks operations
-Proven success with a department of 25 employees within dock department/shop
-Must have considerable knowledge of structure of vessels, stress points, load factors, cradle positioning, and blocking of vessels
-Must have knowledge in stability calculations and docking plan development
-Must be able to obtain federal and state security clearances
-Knowledge of Coast Guard regulations and safety requirements
-24 hour and 7 day (24 / 7) availability
-High school diploma or equivalent
-Must be able to work and communicate effectively with others