For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
Lead OMT (Shift Supervisor)
We are currently recruiting for a Lead OMT (Shift Supervisor) to be based in Harrisville, RI. The Lead OMT is responsible for the proper operation and maintenance of the power facility while assigned on shift. Operates, maintains, troubleshoots, and repairs mechanical equipment, electrical equipment and instrumentation. This equipment includes, but is not limited to the gas turbine, steam turbine, generators, heat recovery steam generator, air compressors, water treatment equipment, demineralizers, motors, pumps, diesel generators, and other auxiliary equipment. Strictly adheres to all safety and environmental rules and regulations to protect employees and public safety.
• Operates and maintains a combined cycle generating facility and all associated auxiliary and support equipment with minimal guidance or assistance. This position requires making operating decisions based on plant procedures, safety and environmental rules, regulations, policies, and procedures, and using good judgment based on operating data.
• Proficient at operating the plant via a remote distributed control system (DCS). Periodically, equipment may need to be operated locally via PLC panel interfaces.
• Sets priorities for the day to day work
• Communicates plant issues and keeps O&M Manager and/or Facility Manager fully informed of unusual conditions, damaged equipment, and current job progress as the job relates to facility operations. This also applies when performing maintenance when either on or off shift
• Reads meters, gauges, or automatic devices to record data such as temperature of equipment, vibration of equipment, hours of operation, pressure, and fluid levels to verify operating conditions. Visually inspects and listens to equipment at periodic intervals to detect malfunctions or need for repair, adjustment or lubrication.
• Provides detailed status of plant conditions to fellow LOMT’s at shift turnover.
• Perform water chemistry analysis on HRSG, auxiliary boiler, and cooling tower systems. Ensure water chemistry is within proper control ranges. Make adjustments to water chemistry, as needed, by controlling chemical feed and/or blowdown rates. Work with OMT’s and water treatment vendor to properly monitor overall chemistry program.
• Operate demineralized water system in accordance with OEM and plant procedures and monitor demineralized water to ensure quality is within acceptable limits.
• Fully supports the use of a computerized maintenance management system by demonstrating proficiency in using the system, entering data consistent with fellow employees and dedication to the facility maintenance philosophy. Records equipment discrepancies in detail on work requests and documents maintenance actions taken on work order forms. Handles corrective maintenance and preventive maintenance work orders in a timely and high quality manner. Shows diligence in documenting spare parts usage and re-ordering.
• Maintains equipment by tightening fittings, replacing valve packing, gaskets, valves, gauges, etc. and cleaning, replacing, oiling and lubricating other component parts and equipment as required.
• Opens and closes valves as required for proper system operation and mechanical isolation. Opens and closes circuit breakers as required for proper system operation and electrical isolation.
• Performs capital project and/or major program responsibilities as assigned by the O&M Manager.
• Sets up and operates various tools and instruments to repair parts and equipment. Operates welding and cutting equipment and completes metal fabrication projects.
• Diagnoses cause of mechanical malfunction or failure of operational equipment.
• Uses fluke meter and other test equipment to calibrate and repair plant instrumentation and electrical circuits.
• Assist in troubleshooting and inspecting programmable logic controllers, distributive control systems including control card replacement and wiring terminations.
• Assist OMT-I&E and OMT-Mechanical Technicians in repairing plant instrumentation and plant equipment.
• Identify and resolve CEMS problems. Assist in performing calibrations and gas bottle change outs.
• Perform general housekeeping and continuous improvement of the appearance of the facility including painting projects as required. Maintain the cleanliness of all areas of the plant and control room, or other duties as assigned.
• Ensure all accidents/incidents/near misses/hazards are immediately reported to Facility Management and relevant paperwork is completed within 24 hours of occurrence.
• Work within the team to develop a culture where everyone embraces, upholds and accepts responsibility for a safe workplace, a healthy working life, a sustainable environment and the right and duty to intervene.
• To demonstrate commitment to continual improvement of HSE performance, and to be responsible and accountable for the HSE performance of their teams.
Required Skills / Knowledge
• Mechanical, instrumentation and electrical equipment knowledge is required.
• Demonstrates knowledge of all facets of power plant operations.
• Demonstrates the ability to make competent decisions in emergency situations.
• Demonstrates knowledge of all facets of gas turbine power plant maintenance.
• Must have 3-5 years of aero-derivative experience.
• Four to six years related experience and/or training; or a combination of experience and/or education preferred.
• High School diploma or equivalent required.
• Associates Degree (AA) or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school preferred.
Ability to do walking, reaching, climbing, and stooping and lifting (up to 50 pounds).
Relocation will be offered for the right candidate.