For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
Field/Office Engineer Intern - TIC Denver - Summer 2020
Requisition ID: 81466
As an intern you will be introduced to a variety of office and field activities as well as estimating in order to develop your understanding of construction. You can expect to spend time learning and working on shop drawings, submittals, schedules, take offs, pay requests, contract changes and project documentation. While learning these things you will have the opportunity to build complex projects that make a profound impact on communities. Our mission is to make a difference and we offer opportunities for you to make one too through our construction operations. Whether we’re building highways through mountain ranges, bridges over lakes and rivers, or water treatment plants - we depend on our passionate, skilled, and safety-obsessed construction professionals to get it done right. You bring your big ideas, commitment to top quality, and an unwavering work ethic. In return, we offer huge career and travel opportunities and the satisfaction of building the next big thing from the ground up. There’s a reason Kiewit attracts the best: we offer fast-paced excitement and fulfillment you won’t find anywhere else.
TIC is a Kiewit Subsidiary that provides direct-hire construction services for industrial projects. TIC Denver has projects in Power, Industrial Manufacturing, Oil Gas Chemical, and Mining across the United States. Its projects range from small capital work up to major EPC projects. We are looking for people committed to the construction industry and not design as this is an “open-shop” environment.
At TIC Denver, we pride ourselves on our high standards, a collaborative spirit, and a commitment to excellence. Whether mentoring a team member, partnering with one of the industry’s top experts, or applying your skills to the job at hand, you are a professional who is looking to shape the future of our industry. When you work at Kiewit, there is a common drive to succeed that bonds you with your colleagues. Our family-minded culture means we take care of each other, too. Here you will feel united in triumphs and challenges and you will have fun and inspire each other every day.
Although headquartered in Denver, CO, we have projects that span across the entire nation, in large cities and small towns, so our people must be willing to go where the work is. Job assignment location will be determined closer to your start date. Must be able to travel and relocate as business requires.
• Work with a vibrant and diverse team to build, estimate, and schedule mechanical, civil, electrical and heavy industrial construction.
• Support both administrative and construction activities as assigned by supervisor; review proposals, specifications and drawings, perform material takeoffs, prepare cost estimates and attend pre-bid investigation meetings.
• Learn to supervise subcontractors and communicate with vendors.
• Prepare work plans, assure quality control, manage and track costs and materials, schedule equipment, administer safety programs and maintain exceptional owner relations.
• Maintaining records as required regarding job progress, costs, material usage, etc.
• Planning and scheduling of job and/or job segments
• Investigating problems and/or reported incidents; identifying and recommending solutions/alternatives as appropriate
• Reviewing plans and specifications to determine material requirements (quantities and qualities), pricing of materials, etc.
• Working with suppliers as required facilitating the handling and expediting delivery of materials
• Pursuing an Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in engineering, construction management or related degree
• Must be willing to work in an open-shop environment
• Committed to the construction industry and not the design industry
• Ability to read and interpret construction drawings and specifications
• Working knowledge of computers and experience with Microsoft Word and Excel
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Have the ability to work independently as well as part of a team
• Strong written and verbal communications skills
• Good attention to detail, with the ability to recognize discrepancies
• Strong work ethic – highly motivated and willing to do what it takes to get the job done right
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
• Ability to freely access all points of a construction site in wide-ranging climates and environment
• Must have a valid Driver’s License
• Ability to work in the United States without sponsorship, both now and in the future
As one of North America's largest, most respected construction and engineering organizations, with 2018 revenues of $9 billion, Kiewit exists to make a difference. We improve and connect communities across the United States, Canada, and Mexico through complex projects in transportation, water/wastewater, power, oil, gas and chemical, building, industrial and mining. Our services are as diverse as the skills of our 20,000-strong workforce to whom we provide challenging, honest work in a caring and collaborative culture. A sense of adventure, pride and fulfillment is built into every career at Kiewit.
How We’re Different
• Consistently ranked within the top five of the “Top 400 Contractors” according to Engineering News-Record
• Top-tier health, dental and vision insurance available from Day One of employment
• 401K savings plan that includes company dollar-for-dollar match on contributions up to 6 percent of base pay
• Our employees are entitled to accrue at least 20 days paid time off each year
• We spend an average of $8,500 per employee each year on training and career development and reimburse up to $5,250 per year in outside tuition costs
Kiewit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.