For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
Building Maintenance Supervisor
Join our dedicated Facilities Team in maintaining buildings on our 24 acre campus!
Supervisor is responsible for the interior and exterior structure maintenance of BA buildings. Responsible for prioritizing customer service requests related to the building structure as well as the daily coordination of staff assigned to the oversight of this position. Assures work meets professional standards, is done promptly, safely and thoughtfully. This is a hands-on working trade position.
Located on 24 beautiful acres in Chestnut Hill, about 4 miles west of Boston, Chestnut Hill Benevolent Association (BA) is a nonprofit Christian Science nursing organization serving a regional, national and international clientele. Our staff work’s together in a caring, family-type environment providing an array of Christian Science Nursing services and training school, and Residential programs.
DETAILS OF DUTIES:
1. Responsible for the servicing and preventative maintenance of interior and exterior building components including doors, windows, walls, ceilings, interior and exterior painting, cabinetry, roof systems, masonry, gutter systems as well as some minor plumbing, electrical and HVAC systems.
2. Oversees and coordinates the work of 2 or more other co-workers to assure applicable building codes, BA standards and regulatory standards are met. Assures workload is fair, balanced and appropriate for individual worker skillsets reporting to the position.
3. Reviews daily customer work orders to determine relative need and priority and assigns to the appropriate tradesperson. Performs regular follow up with reports and customers to see that department standards of timeliness, materials, workmanship and safety are adhered to. Assures work assigned is balanced and appropriate to the tradesperson time and skills. Keeps work orders current, accurate and up to date.
4. Oversees the preventative maintenance (PM) of the building components assigned to this position. Reviews PM’s to assure relative priority, description of work is accurate and complete, that needed tools and supplies are assigned to the work and that appropriate PPE for workers is identified, supplied and used. Makes recommendations to improve PM system.
5. Provides excellent customer support of customer generated work requests and appropriate follow-up. Monitors due dates for projects and time sensitive work orders to assure work is completed on time.
6. May manage contractors doing work related to building repairs. Understands the scope of work as well as the quality, timing and budget constraints for performing the work. Assures work is done to code, meets high professional as well as BA standards and meets OSHA requirements for safety.
7. Helps tradespeople with determining best times and practices to accomplish work in occupied spaces. Watches for scheduling conflicts that may not be apparent.
8. Regularly meets with Manager to review work priorities, plan future work, provide budget estimates of work to be performed and reviews worked to be performed to assure proper PPE is known and used.
9. Provides input for annual performance appraisals of the staff overseen by this position. Provides training and instruction where applicable for these positions.
10. Available 24 hours for on-call emergencies. Can be flexible in work schedule when needed. May include occasional weekend work.
11. Assists landscaping supervisor with seasonal and winter time snow plowing and snow removal.
12. Must be capable of lifting 75 lbs. Must be able to freely walk, stand, sit, twist, bend and stretch for prolonged periods of time. Must be able to work from ladders and high platforms as well as work in a variety of weather and temperature conditions.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Understands and supports BA mission. Five years of demonstrated trade work. Familiarity with OSHA standards and record keeping can be helpful. Knowledge and skill in Microsoft Office and the Internet. Good organizational, and strong communication, and interpersonal skills. Ability to be flexible with work schedule and to deal with emergencies in a calm and effective manner. Ability to manage employees under their immediate supervision.
Application can be downloaded and saved to your computer for completion at: https://www.chbenevolent.org/employment-2/apply-now
(Note - completing the application online does not reach us - be sure to download, save, then complete and email to us.)