For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
Assoc Control Ctr Operator
National Grid is hiring an Associate Control Center Operator for our Electric Control Center department in Northborough, MA.
Every day we deliver safe and secure energy to homes, communities, and businesses. We are there when people need us the most. We connect people to the energy they need for the lives they live. The pace of change in society and our industry is accelerating and our expertise and track record puts us in an unparalleled position to shape the sustainable future of our industry.
To be successful we must anticipate the needs of our customers, reducing the cost of energy delivery today and pioneering the flexible energy systems of tomorrow. This requires us to deliver on our promises and always look for new opportunities to grow, both ourselves and our business.
This position requires a high level of personal commitment to deliver excellent performance in monitoring, switching and restoring the substation, sub-transmission and distribution high voltage electric systems in New England. Professional communication and the ability to analyze trouble while under stress is expected.
• Consolidate information from a variety of sources such as Energy Management Systems alarms, switching orders, field reports and Outage Management System to accurately validate, analyze and report outage duration, number of customers impacted, cause and circumstances
• Direct the sectionalizing of faulted equipment and return customers to service.
• Analyze normal / abnormal operating conditions.
• Reconfigure the power system so that equipment operates within its rating.
• Initiate emergency procedures when the system is in distress.
• Be proactive in communicating outage status to various stakeholders such as operations and executive management, corporate communication, customers, engineering, municipal and regulatory staff.
• Analyze trouble orders, establish restoration priorities. and dispatch personnel as required.
• Receive and respond to police, fire, customer calls as needed.
• Complete control center logs and reports
• Demonstrate proficiency in applicable Clearance and Control procedures
• Ensure accuracy and completeness of outage data in Outage Management System.
• Ability to work rotating a rotating 12 hour shift schedule.
• Work reasonable amounts of planned and unplanned overtime
• Able to work both independently and in a team environment.
• 2-year or higher Technical Degree (i.e. Engineering or Engineering Technology) or 4 years equivalent experience.
• Electrical or gas utility experience preferred
• Candidates must successfully pass an aptitude assessment and a required background check.
• Must have working knowledge of basic computer software applications
• Ability to assimilate data from a variety of sources and quickly formulate and execute action plans during high periods of stress.
• Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
• Excellent written communication, oral communication, and inquiry resolution skills
• Ability to adapt to Rotating Shifts, flexibility to change schedule during emergencies
• Understanding of electric network connectivity required
This position has a career path which provides for advancement opportunities within and across bands as you develop and evolve in the position; gaining experience, expertise and acquiring and applying technical skills. Internal candidates will be assessed and provided offers against the minimum qualifications of this role and their individual experience.
National Grid is an equal opportunity employer that values a broad diversity of talent, knowledge, experience and expertise. We foster a culture of inclusion that drives employee engagement to deliver superior performance to the communities we serve. National Grid is proud to be an affirmative action employer. We encourage minorities, women, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to join the National Grid team.