For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
Immunization Requirements for MMA
All cadets are required to provide proof of ALL REQUIRED immunizations listed below and are strongly encouraged to receive the recommended immunizations:
- Hepatitis A Vaccine: Two doses required to complete the series. At least one dose must be given prior to attending MMA.
- Hepatitis B Vaccine: Completion of the three dose series.
- Mantoux (PPD) Test: Marine Transportation & Marine Engine ONLY
Tuberculosis skin test with RESULTS noted. Must be within ONE year of starting at MMA. (If you are not able to receive the test or you had a BCG vaccine you may have an IGRA blood test as an alternative.)
- Meningococcal Vaccine: One dose for all residential students given within the last 5 years. (If the first dose was given before age 16 a booster dose is required.)
- MMR Vaccine: Measles, Mumps and Rubella - two doses or proof of immunity by a blood test.
- Polio Vaccine: Primary series and booster dose.
- Tdap Vaccine: Tetanus, Diptheria and Acellular Pertussis - one dose required within the last 10 years.
- Varicella Vaccine: Chicken Pox - two doses or documentation of having had the disease or proof of immunity by a blood test.
- Meningitis B Vaccine: Strongly recommended not required. First dose before Orientation. Completion of series per protocol.
- HPV: Strongly recommended not required.
Other vaccines and blood tests may be required for foreign travel for internships, commercial shipping and other Academy sponsored travel. Health Services can help you plan what you need to keep you healthy when you are away. We also offer travel consultations for personal travel.
CDC Vaccine Information Sheet Links
Meningococcal (MenACYW or MPSV4)
MMR/MMRV (Measles, Mumps, Rubella & Varicella)
TD/DTAP (Diptheria, Tetanus, Pertussis)