For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
The mission of the Humanities Department at Massachusetts Maritime Academy is to offer a variety of courses in several different areas of the humanities to acquaint students with the humanistic traditions of a variety of cultures, to encourage higher order thinking necessary for the study of courses in both the Humanities Department and other departments, and to articulate thoughts and ideas in both oral and written forms of communication.
The goals of our department can be summarized as follows:
- to maintain teaching excellence
- to improve our teaching through professional development, research, and methodology, and pedagogical innovation
- to assist non-Humanities department needs by collaboration and leadership in reading, speech, writing, and critical thinking
- to offer a curriculum that’s relevant and responsive and enables our students to achieve their educational goals in a professional-technical setting
- to develop historical/cultural perspective in our students
- to involve our department in university issues and interdisciplinary concerns