Duties include regular police patrols of campus grounds, buildings, and adjacent areas on foot or in a patrol vehicle to protect physical property, ensure community safety, deter crime and prevent theft or vandalism; respond to calls for service, complaints, medical and other emergencies and initiate action as needed; conduct searches, mediate disputes, and ensures compliance with all local and state laws, rules, and regulations; prepare incident reports and maintain dispatch logs; enforce all traffic requirements and parking regulations. Perform security details at campus functions and special events as assigned. Provide transportation services including personal safety escorts and other transportation duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Eligibility for appointment as a Massachusetts Special State Police Officer under Massachusetts General Law, Chapter 22C, Section 63 and must obtain Special State Police Powers from the Massachusetts State Police without additional training
- Must have graduated from a Massachusetts Special State Police Officer Academy OR Must have graduated from the Massachusetts Municipal Police Training Committee's 242 hour Reserve/Intermittent Police Academy AND have been employed as an auxiliary/seasonal police officer by a Massachusetts Municipal Police Department with a minimum of two (2) years of work experience OR Graduated from an accredited Massachusetts University/College, granted an Associate's Degree or higher in Criminal Justice or Policing OR Must have graduated from ANY full-time police academy with a minimum of two (2) years of work experience
- Must have and retain a valid Massachusetts driver's license
- Must have or be able to obtain and retain a Massachusetts license to carry a firearm
- Must be able to pass the following pre-employment examinations: drug screening, physical and psychological assessments as well as a thorough background check to include Criminal Offender Records Information
- Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills
- CPR/First Responder certification and training in the operation of Automated External Defibrillators, preferred
- Ability to successfully complete initial and annual firearms qualification training
- Ability to successfully complete annual in-service training requirements
How to Apply
Application deadline: 09 October 2021 (Revised). To apply, please submit the following documents: cover letter, resume, MMA application, Affirmative Action form, and contact information of three (3) professional references. These forms are located on the employment opportunities under Human Resources on the MMA website: www.maritime.edu. Application materials may be saved, attached, and sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, submit application materials by USPS to: Human Resources Department, Massachusetts Maritime Academy, 101 Academy Drive, Buzzards Bay, MA 02532. The Academy is not sponsoring immigration visas at this time. Finalist must complete a drug screening, physical, background check, and COVID-19 vaccine verification.
Massachusetts Maritime Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage members from historically underrepresented communities, women and veterans to apply.