Chief Mate for SSV Ernestina Morrissey — The Chief Mate / Ship's Boson position is based on long term needs with a focus on continuity and ship board safety. SSV Ernestina Morrissey is a complex sailing vessel. This position will support the mission and ongoing structural maintenance of the Schooner Ernestina Morrissey whether the ship is underway or at the dock. The Chief Mate has a key role in emergency preparedness. It is this position that will organize the crew and trainees during emergencies per the captain's instructions and command the rescue vessel with the Chief Engineer for persons over board emergencies. The mate will conduct routine maintenance, develop inspection protocols and develop maintenance procedure manuals for the weekly, monthly, quarterly and yearly required rig inspections. Also, the mate will be required to conduct the monthly safety inspections and drills with the ship's crew. This position may be able to assist in STCW assessments with cadets.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Safe navigation as a Watch Team Leader
- Oversee and manage crew and cadets for daily operations
- Develop ship-specific preventative maintenance schedules for the sailing rig
- Develop rig manual and inspection procedures
- Develop monthly, quarterly and annually sailing rig inspections
- Develop inspection log book per USCG Standards for the sailing rig
- Digitization of logs and records, procedures, maintenance schedules, etc.
- Oversee crew in maintenance project
- Teach crew / cadets seamanship and proper line handling
- Teach crew / cadets proper procedures for going aloft and in the head rig
- Teach crew / cadets proper procedures for emergency equipment
- Teach crew / cadets procedures for wooden ship maintenance
- Teach crew / cadets safe operation and proper use of power tools for routine maintenance
- Teach crew / cadets safe and proper use of hand tools
- Teach crew / cadets safe and proper use of the different products (i.e. paint and solvents) used to maintain the vessel
- Manage ship's maintenance inventory and supplies.
- At sea assist the Captain and other crew members as necessary in meeting transit objectives including aquatic sampling activities, education, sail handling, and general operations.
- Participate in general upkeep of vessel spaces and living quarters to maintain their cleanliness and orderly appearance.
- Merchant Mariner's license of at least 200 GRT near coastal with sail endorsement
- Minimum of 5 years' experience on traditionally rigged sailing vessels
- Minimum of 2 years' experience as Mate on a traditionally rigged sailing vessel
- Associate Degree
- Unlimited Radar Endorsement
- Valid TWIC
- Valid Passport
Employee will be required to participate in a random drug testing program.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: 22 January 2022. To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume, an MMA application, Affirmative Action form and the contact information of five (5) professional references. These forms are located on the employment link on our website: www.maritime.edu. Application materials may be saved, attached, and sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you may send your application materials by USPS to: Human Resources, Massachusetts Maritime Academy, 101 Academy Drive, Buzzards Bay, MA 02532 Finalist must complete a pre-employment physical, drug screening, background check, and COVID-19 vaccine verification.
Massachusetts Maritime Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage members from historically underrepresented communities, women and veterans to apply.