For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
FY20-02 & FY20-03 Emergency Management Faculty
A special mission college within the Massachusetts state university system
Position: Full-time, Tenure Track Emergency Management Faculty
Posting: July 2019
Start Date: March 2020 or September 2020
Position Number: FY20-02 & FY20-03
Division: Academic; Emergency Management Department
Union Affiliation: Massachusetts State College Association (MSCA)
Application Deadline: Open until filled (Revised)
Supervision Received: Reports to the Chair of the Department EM and to the Vice President of Academic Affairs
Supervision Exercised: Supervises student personnel in areas of responsibility
- Instruction of College-level courses primarily in Emergency Management and Homeland Security related topic areas
- Instruction of various other courses as needed
- Teaching and advising in a four-year college setting
- Active participation in university committees and programs
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Demonstrated potential to fulfill evaluation criteria of teaching and advising at the university level
- Candidates with Master’s Degree and field experience who are working toward a terminal degree will be considered for appointment at the rank of Instructor
- Tenure-track appointment at the Assistant Professor level requires an earned terminal degree
- Tenure-track appointment at higher levels requires a terminal degree and significant teaching experience at the post-secondary level
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent computer skills
- Ideal candidate will have a terminal degree in Emergency Management or a discipline relevant to emergency management, such as public health, public administration, or law
- Ideal candidate will have sufficient breadth of experience and interest to teach courses in Emergency Management and Homeland Security related topic areas, including Terrorism and Homeland Security, Emergency Planning, Transportation Security, Emergency Management Communications, GIS and/or Emergency Management related Information Technology courses as well as Capstone Course related subject areas
- Understanding and appreciation of the Academy’s unique mission
- Professional licenses/certifications consistent with Emergency Management and National Security
Salary: Commensurate with experience and subject to the MSCA collective bargaining agreement plan. The Academy is not sponsoring immigration visas at this time.
Application Deadline: Open until filled. To apply, please submit a cover letter, resume/CV, an MMA application, Affirmative Action form and the contact information of five (5) professional references. These forms are located on the employment opportunities link under Human Resources on the MMA website www.maritime.edu. Applications may be attached and sent electronically to email@example.com. Alternatively, you may send your application materials by USPS to: Human Resources, Massachusetts Maritime Academy, 101 Academy Drive, Buzzards Bay, MA 02532. Applicants selected for interview must submit original transcripts and be prepared to deliver a fifteen-minute presentation on a relevant topic. Finalist must complete a drug screening and background check.
MMA is an AA/EEO/Veteran/Disabled employer. Members of under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.