In May, 1/C cadets majoring in Marine Transportation and Marine Engineering will sit for four days of United States Coast Guard Exams. Using practice books, class notes, and apps on their phone, many cadets are already studying for the exams in their spare time.
Each week, usually on Tuesday and Thursday, we’ll share five multiple-choice questions with you that have appeared on United States Coast Guard Exams in previous years. The questions are now part of practice books used by the cadets.
If you enjoy playing along at home while watching Jeopardy, or taking part in trivia competitions with your friends, then you are sure to have fun with Earn Your Coast Guard License In Five Questions.
Read each question. Carefully consider the four answer choices. Discuss the questions with classmates, friends, or family members. Look up any unfamiliar vocabulary words. Research any topics that spark your interest. Record your answers.
We’ll share the correct answers on the following Tuesday or Thursday. If you score 5 out of 5, you’ll be on your way to earning your Coast Guard License at Massachusetts Maritime Academy in the years to come. The answers to Thursday, January 5th’s questions about Rules Of The Road will be found at the end of todays’ questions.
Today’s topic: Fire Prevention & Firefighting Appliances
1. Traditionally, the signal for fire aboard a ship is _________.
A. more than 6 short blasts and 1 long blast on the whistle, and the same signal on the general alarm
B. continuous sounding of the ship’s whistle and the general alarm for at least 10 seconds
C. 1 short blast on the whistle
D. alternating short and long blasts on the ship’s whistle
2. The spread of fire is prevented by _____________.
A. heating surfaces adjacent to the fire
B. leaving combustibles in the endangered area
C. shutting off the oxygen supply
D. all of the above
3. Which type of fire extinguisher is NOT designed for use on flammable liquid fires?
B. dry chemical
C. water (cartridge operated)
D. carbon dioxide
4. What is the minimum number of people required to safely handle a 2 ½ inch fire hose?
5. One advantage of the “all-purpose nozzle” is that it _____________.
A. can fit any size hose
B. converts a stream of water into a fog
C. increases the amount of water reaching the fire
D. can spray two streams of water at the same time
How do you think that you did? If you decide to research Fire Prevention & Firefighting Appliances and complete a report, drawing, or diagram, please share it with us.
Emails may be sent to email@example.com. We'll share your work with cadets studying for the their Coast Guard Exams.
And now, are you ready for the answer to the questions on Rules Of The Road posted on Thursday, January 5th? Here you go!
1. A proper lookout shall be maintained ______________________________.
A. only at night
B. only during restricted visibility
C. at all times
D. at night and during restricted visibility
2. A sailing vessel is NOT required to keep out of the way of a _________________________________.
A. power-driven vessel
B. vessel not under command
C. vessel restricted in the ability to maneuver
D. vessel engaged in fishing
3. When underway in a narrow channel, you should keep to the __________________________.
A. middle of the channel
B. starboard side of the channel
C. port side of the channel
D. side of the channel that has the widest turns
4. What signal would a vessel aground show during daylight?
A. one black ball
B. two black balls
C. three black balls
D. four black balls
5. A vessel engaged in trawling will show identification light of _________________________.
A. a red light over a white light
B. a white light over a red light
C. a green light over a white light
D. two red lights in a vertical line