For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
March 25th - Boosting Metacognition
- M. E., W. (2018). Metacognition: Knowledge and Regulation of Learning. Teaching Professor, 32(5), 3.
- Metacognitive Awareness Inventory (MAI)
- McCabe, J (2017). Boosting Metacognition through In-Class Assessments (blog post)
September 25th - Using rubrics for grading and feedback
- M. E., W. (2018). Rubrics: Defining Features. Teaching Professor, 32(2), 8.
- Rubrics (Authentic Assessment Toolbox)
- How to Turn Rubric Scores into Grades (Cult of Pedagogy)
October 23rd - Increasing student motivation to better promote learning
- Gooblar, D. (2018, ). Will students actually want to do this assignment? The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Bain, K., & Zimmerman, J. (2009). Understanding great teaching. Peer Review, 11(2), 9.
November 27th - Academic integrity: strategies to reduce cheating in the classroom
- Golden, S. (2013). Cheating Lessons, Inside Higher Ed.
- Lang, J.M. (2013). Cheating Lessons: Learning From Academic Dishonesty. (Chapters 4 - 7 focus on specific techniques. We will discuss Chapter 6: Lowering Stakes)
March 12th - Promoting civic and global learning in the classroom
- Mulrooney, M.M., Eaton, M.K., & McGuire, L.E. (2017) Civic Learning for All Students. Peer Review, 19(4), 8-11.
- MMA Civic Learning Rubric (developed by MMA faculty, a description of course-level student learning outcomes related to civic and global learning at the Academy)
April 17th – Strategies for de-centering the classroom
- King, A. (1993). From sage on the stage to guide on the side. College Teaching, 41(1), 30.
- Jaschik, S. (2018). Lecture Instruction: Alive and Not So Well, Inside Higher Ed.
- Additional brief readings on specific strategies for de-centering the classroom:
- Felder, R. M., & Brent, R. (1996). Navigating the bumpy road to student-centered instruction. College Teaching, 44(2), 43.
- Hamilton, K. (2017). How Andragogy Helps Undergraduate Students Become Life-Long Learners. The Exchange, 30, 16.
- M. E., W. (2017). Improving Peer Feedback. Teaching Professor, 31(9), 8.
- Shaw, P. (2018). Student-Led Lessons Rather than Student Presentations. Teaching Professor, 32(2), 3.
- Shih, M. & Han S. (2014). Embracing The Changing World: Incorporating Team-Based Learning In An Upper Level General Education Course, The Exchange, 27, 3.