Employee's Duty to Report

The Academy recognizes that a person may feel most comfortable disclosing an incident to a MMA employee that they know well, such as a squad leader, coach, or faculty member. In terms of reports of discrimination, discriminatory harassment, or retaliation, any trustee, administrator, department chair, program coordinator, manager or supervisor who has knowledge of or receives such a report from a student or other member of the Academy community is obligated to report the information to the EO Officer or Title IX Coordinator as soon as the employee becomes aware of it. Likewise, any member of the campus community is encouraged to report to the EO Officer or the Title IX Coordinator any conduct of which they have direct knowledge and which they in good faith believe constitutes discrimination, discriminatory harassment, or retaliation. Any member of the Academy community who has a question about their reporting responsibilities should contact the Title IX Coordinator or EO Officer.


Confidential Resources


Private, Non Confidential Resources

Ways you can respond to a student disclosure:

  1. Compassionate Interruption

Employee needs to ensure that the cadet knows the employee’s role in reporting incidents of sexual violence. You are not a confidential resource. Polietly interrupt and explain to the student your responsibility on campus. For example, you could say, “I am listening to what you are saying but I feel like you are going to disclose an incident I have a responsibility to report. I can help you. I also want you to know there are confidential resources on campus.”

  2. If they want to proceed with their disclosure: 
  • Believe Them! 
  • Remain calm and supportive
  • Thank them for telling you
  • Explain that you will need to share this information with your supervisor and/or the Title IX Coordinator
  • Help them through the conversation
    • Do you need medical attention?
    • What happened?
    • When did it happen?
    • Where did it happen?
    • Who did this?
  • Support them in filing a complaint

Complaint Form