For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
Diesel Engineering Instructor
A special mission college within the Massachusetts state university system
Posting: August 2019
Position: Adjunct Assistant Diesel Instructor
Deadline for application: Open until filled
Requirements: Part-time, four (4) hours/week, Wednesday evenings from 4:30-8:30 PM
Duration: Fall academic semester 2019 - September 11th, 2019 through December 11th, 2019, twelve weeks.
Please note, this is a non-benefitted, temporary/contract position
General Statement of Duties: Assist the Lead Instructor in both the classroom and laboratory by providing instruction in: diesel engine theory, design basics, fundamental operation, equipment safety, parts identification, engine components, and engine systems, use of equipment, repair procedures, and hands-on application. Working knowledge and prior experience with the disassembly and reassembly of a working. Westerbeke 40 series four-stroke engines and Detroit 71 series two-stroke engines is a must.
- Assist Lead Instructor in promoting safety awareness and good working practices in both, the classroom and in the field.
- Manage classroom activities by enforcing standards, rules, and regulations.
- Possess the ability to troubleshoot, diagnose, repair and operate small diesel engines.
- Possess above average hands-on skill sets and have a thorough working knowledge of all of the tools needed to perform a basic overhaul of a diesel engine.
- Ability to supervise a group of students in the teardown process (remove head, pull piston and liner, set valve lash and set engine timing, etc.) and reassembly in a four-hour window while ensuring the diesel engine will operate at completion.
- Assess each student’s ability in achieving the desired course objective.
- Make recommendations and offer feedback as needed.
- Work as a team member.
- Have above average communications skills both orally and in the written word.
- Ability to present in a large group.
Desired Qualification: Current or former USCG Licensed Engineer with Motor rating in the U.S. Merchant Marine.
To apply, please submit the following documents: cover letter, resume, MMA application, Affirmative Action form, and contact information of Five (5) professional references. These forms are located on the employment opportunities under Human Resources on the MMA website: www.maritime.edu. Application materials may be saved, attached, and sent electronically to email@example.com. Alternatively, submit application materials by USPS to: Human Resources Department, Massachusetts Maritime Academy, 101 Academy Drive, Buzzards Bay, MA 02532. Finalist must complete a CORI and background check.
MMA is an AA/EEO/Veteran/Disabled employer. Members of under-represented groups are encouraged to apply.