For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
Commercial Shipping Medical Information
All cadets who plan to have an internship on a commercial ship must submit a physical examination documented on the United States Coast Guard form CG-719K.
In addition to MMA’s required immunizations, MSC mandates the following:
- Hepatitis A Vaccine: Second dose-first dose already on file
- Influenza vaccine (current for the year you are shipping)
- Completed polio series (on file)
- TB Test (PPD): Tuberculosis skin test and results within last 6 months
- Tdap/Td Vaccine: Injectable vaccine required within the last 10 years
- Typhoid: Injectable vaccine required within 2 years or oral vaccine within 5 years
- Yellow Fever: injectable vaccine required within 10 years
Health Services will hold immunization clinics each semester to assist you with these requirement or contact your own primary care provider.
Blood work is also necessary for shipping with MSC.
• Blood Type - a copy of your Red Cross card is acceptable or other formal lab record.
• G6PD Screening
Oil Tanker requirements:
• Benzene Screening to measure any exposure to petroleum based products.
Health Services is able to send all these blood tests for you or contact your own primary care provider.
Your insurance will be billed by our lab partner, Quest Laboratories.