For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
Books and Supplies Advance Policy
Webadvisor allows you to view any financial aid funds available for purchases at the campus bookstore. To view, login to Webadvisor and click on the 'Bookstore Charge Transactions' link under Financial Aid. You can keep track of available funds in real time as you make Bookstore purchases. The cashier at the bookstore will help you through the process at the time of checkout. The opportunity to use anticipated financial aid at the bookstore will be available during the first 3 weeks of the fall and spring semesters.
In the spirit of good stewardship regarding student financial aid and our responsibility to provide access to higher education to our students, Massachusetts Maritime Academy will adhere to the following policy regarding advancing financial aid funds (from all sources) to students to assist with their purchase of books and supplies (to include the requirement that all students have their own laptop, tablet or other computing device).
- MMA will allow students to access anticipated excess financial aid funds beginning 10 calendar days prior to the start of the semester.
- There is no limit to the amount of anticipated excess aid that the student can use if purchasing their books in the Follett Bookstore.
- Students may access up to $750 per semester for books if they are purchasing them somewhere other than through the Follett Bookstore.
- If the cost of their books is greater than $750 and the student can provide documentation of the higher cost, the Office of Student Financial Services will allow the higher amount, provided the student has enough anticipated credit on their account.
- Students may also access up to $1500 to purchase a laptop or other computing device.
- If the cost of the laptop or other computing device is greater than $1500 and the student can provide documentation of the higher cost, the Office of Student Financial Services will allow the higher amount, provided the student has enough anticipated credit on their account.
- Students may access up to $200 for clothing (required PT gear and uniform upkeep).
If, for any reason, the student does not receive the full anticipated financial aid for the semester, the student will be responsible for repaying up to the full amount that was accessed in advance of the funds being received by Massachusetts Maritime Academy.