For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
Advising and Approving Student Schedules
Self Service enables students to better plan and register for the courses they need to complete their academic program. Students can perform academic planning activities such as searching for courses, planning their terms, and scheduling and registering for course sections. Student Planning allows a student and advisor to work together to achieve the desired outcome for a selected course plan.
Using the Advising pages, advisors can access advisees to provide guidance and feedback on their academic planning.
To advise and approve of course schedules:
- Login to Self Service with your Portal Guard username and password.
- Choose the Advising menu item.
- Search for or choose the advisee you're working with.
- Use the arrows to select the correct term.
- The Course Plan is the default view. You can choose between the List and Calendar view. Calendar view is more beneficial when you are helping a student plan their schedule for a particular term, because you can easily see section conflicts by clicking "View other Sections."
- From the Course Plan, you can see what the advisee has planned.
- You can Approve, Deny and Protect courses.
- Student Planning will give a warning that a prerequisite or corequisite exist for a course if it is not currently planned, in progress or completed.
- You can also choose the Timeline to see future, past terms and multiple terms at the same time.
- After selecting or editing any planned courses, go back to the Course Plan tab.
- Approve or deny planned courses for the term.
- You can add a note if you want the student to reconsider a course etc.
- Then click Review Complete. Reviews can happen at any time.
- You will be asked if you want to archive the review. Do this.
- Students will not be able to register for the sections until the Advisement Complete button has been selected each semester.