For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
All undergraduate students (including transfer students) admitted to an MMA degree program are required to take the Accuplacer examination administered by MMA (using the MMA testing system), regardless of whether they have taken the examination elsewhere.
This online assessment and placement tool is used throughout the Commonwealth by institutions of higher education to place incoming students in courses appropriate for their level of academic preparedness in mathematics, reading and writing.
For incoming MMA students, The Accuplacer examination consists of three separate tests: Advanced Algebra and Functions, Reading Comprehension, and WritePlacer Plus.
- The Advanced Algebra and Functions test presents students with 20 questions that assess proficiency in Intermediate Algebra through pre-calculus.
- The Reading Comprehension test presents students with 20 questions about reading passages and about the relationship between sentences.
- The WritePlacer Plus test is the only timed test in the series, allowing 60 minutes for completion. The test evaluates the quality of a student writing sample produced during the time allotted.
The Accuplacer examination usually takes between 1 1/2 and 3 hours.
You will not be permitted to bring a calculator into the testing location or use one on the ACCUPLACER math test. If you are presented any questions which have been configured to permit the use of a calculator, you will be presented with an icon on the screen which will grant you access to an on-screen calculator for that question.
Spring Accuplacer testing is conducted during orientation. Students are not required to schedule testing prior to arrival for orientation.
Incoming Fall students must register for an Accuplacer exam session and
uniform fitting. Those living over 100 miles from the Academy may be eligible to take the Accuplacer at an approved alternative location.
You must have an appointment to take the test. You will not be tested without an appointment.
All testing will be conducted at MMA.
How To Register
How to register: Incoming Fall students should login with MMA credentials and register for an exam session.
When to arrive: Students must show up on time. Any students who are tardy when the test begins will not be permitted to enter the testing area.
Where to report: Students should report to the first floor lobby of the American Bureau of Shipping Information Commons.
What to bring: Students must present an original, valid photo ID card at the testing location in order to take the examination. Note: The following ARE NOT PERMITTED in the testing area: calculators (unless for a prescribed accommodation), unauthorized testing aids, or any devices (such as smart
phones/watches) capable of recording or viewing audio, photographic, or video content.
Also note: The uniform fitting is typically scheduled in conjunction with Accuplacer test. See Class of 2023 for information on the uniform fitting and required deposit.
Students with learning disabilities who require special accommodations must contact the Disability Resource Office. Eligibility for accommodations must be verified prior to the examination.
- Extra Time: Extra time cannot be accommodated on the Accuplacer. You will see that the first two sections of the Accuplacer are untimed. The final section, the WritePlacer Plus, is timed for 60 minutes. The computer program will automatically end the written examination after 60 minutes and cannot be reset.
- Calculator Use: Students whose documented learning disability, as verified by the Disability Resource Office, indicates “calculator use” as an appropriate accommodation may bring a basic 4 function calculator. No other type of calculator may be brought to the Accuplacer exam. A graphing calculator may not be used on the Accuplacer exam.