For over 100 years, Massachusetts Maritime Academy has been preparing women and men for exciting and rewarding careers on land and sea. As the nation's finest co-ed maritime college, MMA challenges students to succeed by balancing a unique regimented lifestyle with a typical four-year college environment. As a member of the cadet corps you will live, study, sail, work and play in an atmosphere that encourages you to be your best.
About the Salute to the Maritime Person of the Year
Previous Recipients of the Emery Rice Medal
The Emery Rice Medal
Massachusetts Maritime Academy honors a civilian or military leader with a distinguished career of excellence, innovation and service to the maritime industries and other industries we serve and honors them with the Emery Rice Medal at our Salute to the Maritime Person of the Year events. Past honorees have included admirals, captains, CEO’s, and leading maritime executives from around the globe. Our honoree is presented with the Captain Emery Rice medal named for an 1897 Academy graduate and WWI hero. Captain Rice was recognized twice by Theodore Roosevelt for his maritime skill and bravery as a shining example of American courage and fighting spirit.
This medal has been presented to a select group of maritime professionals who have contributed significantly to the advancement of the very principles taught at the Academy; leadership, ethics, business sense and respect for the ocean environment. All medal recipients have one thing in common, they have earned the respect of their peers.
Previous Recipients Include:
(Organization/Title at the time of Award)
- 1995 Admiral William J. Flanangan, Jr. USN - Commander in Chief, US Atlantic Fleet
- 1996 Mr. Gerhard E. Kurz of - CEO, Seabulk International
- 1997 Mr. Morton S. Bouchard, III - President, Bouchard Transportation Co., Inc.
- 1998 Mr. Michael D. Tusiani - Chairman & CEO, Proten & Partners, Inc.
- 1999 Mr. Peter Livanos - Chairman, Ceres Hellenic Shipping Enterprises, Ltd.
- 2000 Mr. Joseph S.K. Kwok - Group Chief Operating Office, NOL & President, AET
- 2001 Mr. Lars Carlsson - President, Concordia Maritime AB & Chairman, Intertanko
- 2002 Mr. Joseph P. Gehegan, Jr. - President & COO, United States Shipping, LLC
- 2003 Rear Admiral Maurice J. Bresnahan, Jr., USN (Ret.) - President Massachusetts Maritime Academy
- 2004 Mr. Dennis M. Houston - Executive Vice President, ExxonMobil & Supply Co. Chairman, Mobil Oil Shipping & Transportation
- 2005 Vice Admiral Vivian S. Crea, USCG - Commander, Coast Guard Atlantic Area Commander, Maritime Defense Zone Atlantic
- 2006 Mr. Paul R. Tregurtha - Chairman & CEO, Mormac Marine Group
- 2006 Mr. John A. Angelicoussis - Chairman & CEO, Angelicoussis Shipping Group
- 2007 Mr. Alan S. McKim - Chairman & CEO, Clean Harbors Environmental
- 2008 Mr. Morten Arntzen - President & CEO, Overseas Shipholding Group, Inc.
- 2009 Mr. Robert Somerville - Chairman & CEO, American Bureau of Shipping
- 2010 Mr. Geoffrey C. Wilkinson - President & CEO George T. Wilkinson, Inc.
- 2011 Mr. Soren Skou - CEO Maersk Tankers
- 2013 Mr. David W. Williams - President & CEO, Noble Drilling Corporation
- 2015 McAllister Family - McAllister Towing & Transportation Co., Inc.
- 2017 Mr. Christopher J. Wiernicki - President, Chairman & CEO, American Bureau of Shipping