A special mission college within the Massachusetts state university system.
Position: Full-time, Tenure Track Marine Transportation Faculty (2 vacancies)
Posting: July 2014
Start date: January 3, 2015 (or following term, February 22, 2015) AMENDED
Position Number: FY15-01 & FY15-02
Division: Academic; Marine Transportation Department
Union Affiliation: Massachusetts State College Association (MSCA)
Supervision Received: Reports to Chair of the Marine Trans. Department and to the Vice President of Academic Affairs
Supervision exercised: Subordinate professional, classified, and student personnel in areas of responsibility
· Ability to teach an academic course load of 12 credits per semester in a variety of professional maritime subjects such as: Basic Safety Training, Radar, ARPA, ECDIS, Ship Construction, Container and Intermodal Cargo Operations, GMDSS, Small Vessel Operations, Seamanship, Coastal and Celestial Navigation, or any other courses or practical laboratories within the Marine Transportation Department’s curriculum. This curriculum may be viewed online at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy’s website. Candidates must be ready to prepare course materials and examinations with minimum assistance.
· All selected must be capable of assessing cadets to STCW standards, with or without simulation, and be familiar with USCG, IMO/STCW mariner training and competency assessment procedures.
· Faculty hired will require Blue-Gold Sea Term participation in the annual training cruise on alternating years (all maritime safety personnel are subject to random drug testing and a pre-employment physical).
· All selected candidates must comply with Massachusetts Maritime Academy military customs, uniforms and ranks as outlined in the current contractual agreement.
· All teaching positions at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy require an understanding of the teaching and advising requirements in the college setting and demonstrated potential to fulfill the applicable evaluation criteria. All teaching positions at the Massachusetts Maritime Academy require computer literacy, excellent written and oral communication skills, and an understanding of the Academy’s unique mission.
Qualifications and Requirements for INSTRUCTOR Rating:Current USCG Second Mate’s Oceans Unlimited LicenseFull STCW 95 Certification – or the ability to obtain within one year of hiringAn accredited Bachelor’s Degree in appropriate field Demonstrated ability to fulfill the evaluation criteria of college level teaching and advising Three year’s full time experience in professional service in the maritime field or teaching at an accredited institution of higher learning (or combination thereof).
Qualifications and Requirements for ASSISTANT PROFESSOR Rating:Current USCG Chief Mate’s Oceans Unlimited LicenseFull STCW 95 CertificationAn accredited Master’s Degree in appropriate field Three year’s full time experience in professional service in the maritime field or teaching at an accredited institution of higher learning (or combination thereof).
Salary: The Academy offers generous benefits and a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled (AMENDED)
MMA is an AA/EEO/Veteran/Disabled employer.
last updated 7-3-2014 by email@example.com