Prospective Students   Current Students   Faculty & Staff   Alumni & Friends   Parents & Visitors   Continuing Education/Working Professional

Massachusetts Maritime Academy - Immigration Requirement for admitted students Admissions - Immigration Requirement for admitted students

To study in the United Sates, individual must have a visa – usually an F-1 Student Visa. To apply for it, you must submit to the United States Embassy or Consulate in your own country the following documents:
  • A valid Form I-20 Certificate of Eligibility
  • A passport
  • Evidence of financial support
I-20 Forms will be sent by the academy to admitted students, after receiving payment of a student's first year total college expenses (Please refer to the Tuition and Fees section for a breakdown). Instructions on how to make the payment will be included in the student's acceptance letter.

Once the individual receives the I-20 form, it must be checked carefully. Be sure that the following information is correct:
  • Name (First name and Family name, exactly as it appears on your passport)
  • Address (foreign home address)
  • Mailing address (if different from home address)
  • Birth date
  • Country of birth
  • Country of citizenship

Students applying for an (F-1) visa must pay a one-time SEVIS processing fee, called the I-901 Fee. The SEVIS processing fee is USD $200 for F1 visas. You will need to bring a receipt for payment of this fee to your visa interview. The fee can be paid by check or money order drawn on a U.S. bank or online through the web site. Please visit the SEVIS fee web site at for details about the fee and instructions on paying it.

For further information, see the SEVP (Student and Exchange Visitor Program) main page. We encourage you to pay the fee as soon as you can to avoid delays in applying for a visa. This is a one-time fee and will be valid for whichever U.S. university you choose to enroll in (although we do hope you choose to join Massachusetts Maritime Academy!!)Allow several weeks to complete the visa application process. If you have questions about applying for a student visa, contact the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate in your country.

last updated 8-20-2012 by